scanimage looks for the wrong libs

Antoine Jacoutot
Hi :)

I'm in the process of making a sane-backends port to OpenBSD.
So far, I encountered only one problem.
When starting scanimage with DEBUG, I can see that it is looking for
*.so.1.15 libs (ie : libsane-epson.so.1.15). The thing is, this lib does
not exist, but *.so.1 (ie : libsane-epson.so.1) exists. I can
rename/symlink those libs so they end with 1 instead of 1.15 and it
works, but it's not a great solution.
How can I either make scanimage look for the right libs or make libtool
(or other) install the libs with the correct name ?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

Antoine

ps :

exemple for the problem -->
$ SANE_DEBUG_DLL=5 scanimage -L
... bla bla...
[dll] load: searching backend `agfafocus' in `/usr/local/lib/sane'
[dll] load: trying to load `/usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-agfafocus.so.1'
[dll] load: couldn't open `/usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-agfafocus.so.1'
(No such file or directory)
[dll] load: couldn't find backend `agfafocus' (No such file or directory)
...bla bla...
$ ls /usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-agfafocus.so*
/usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-agfafocus.so.1.15

Re: scanimage looks for the wrong libs

Henning Meier-Geinitz
Hi,

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 09:21:39AM +0200, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> I'm in the process of making a sane-backends port to OpenBSD.

At least about a year ago, I could build sane-backends on OpenBSD
without any changes (and I could actually scan something). As far as I
know, nothing has changed in sane-backends concerning library loading
since then.

Maybe a change in libtool? Do you use the libtool that comes with SANE
or a different one?

Which was the last version of sane-backends that worked?

There is a now commented out part in the install traget of
backend/Makefile.in that was used for creating links. However, it
hasn't been used since 2 years:

| revision 1.75
| date: 2003/04/30 23:05:45;  author: hmg;  state: Exp;  lines: +17 -17
| Disable manual links for shared libraries.  This breaks MacOS X and
| doesn't seem to be necessary on other platforms any more.

> So far, I encountered only one problem.
> When starting scanimage with DEBUG, I can see that it is looking for
> *.so.1.15 libs (ie : libsane-epson.so.1.15).

The dll backend looks for *.so.1 as far as I can see.

> The thing is, this lib does
> not exist, but *.so.1 (ie : libsane-epson.so.1) exists. I can
> rename/symlink those libs so they end with 1 instead of 1.15 and it
> works, but it's not a great solution.

The symlinking should be done by libtool.

> How can I either make scanimage look for the right libs or make libtool
> (or other) install the libs with the correct name ?

scanimage itsself doesn't llok for any backends. Usually it's linked
statically or linked to the shared libsane-dll backend. The dll
backend then loads dynamically the other backends.

Bye,
  Henning

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Maybe a change in libtool? Do you use the libtool that comes with SANE
> or a different one?

I tried both, the one included and the one that comes with OpenBSD as a
package.

> There is a now commented out part in the install traget of
> backend/Makefile.in that was used for creating links. However, it
> hasn't been used since 2 years:

Well, I will have a look at this.

> The symlinking should be done by libtool.

Allright, but how ? Since it is not done by default here, is there a
switch I could use ? I'm not familiar with libtool...

> scanimage itsself doesn't llok for any backends. Usually it's linked
> statically or linked to the shared libsane-dll backend. The dll
> backend then loads dynamically the other backends.

You're totally right, I figured that out after investigating a bit more.

Thanks I'll look into the commenter links in the Makefile and see if I
could make it work that way.

Regards,

Antoine

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:43:45AM +0200, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> >The symlinking should be done by libtool.
>
> Allright, but how ?

No idea. libtool seems to do that for linux. I think it's also done
for other platforms but I haven't checked that.

Bye,
  Henning

Re: scanimage looks for the wrong libs

Antoine Jacoutot
Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> No idea. libtool seems to do that for linux. I think it's also done
> for other platforms but I haven't checked that.

Allright, thanks a lot... I'm still investigating :)

Regards,

Antoine