multipage scans

Carl Karsten-2
About 6 times a year I need to scan a stack of papers, between 10 and 50 pages.

I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1100
I put a page in place, run:

juser@cnt3:~/temp$ scanimage -v >image.pnm
scanimage: scanning image of size 2592x3450 pixels at 1 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring gray frame
scanimage: read 1117800 bytes in total

When I run that,  nothing happens for a few seconds, then it spins the feed rollers, paper goes though, good.

I could put that in a bash loop with a read, scan, hit enter, scan, hit enter... ^C

I am hoping there is support for the button.

Or something a little more elegant than ^c.

Not sure if I care about creating a multipage file, it would be handy for keeping track of the batches of scans, but I need to split it into separate files to process, so that doesn't help.

Re: multipage scans

m. allan noah-3
Why not just use scanimage -b ?

allan

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 9:00 PM, Carl Karsten <[hidden email]> wrote:

> About 6 times a year I need to scan a stack of papers, between 10 and 50
> pages.
>
> I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1100
> http://scanners.fcpa.fujitsu.com/scansnap11/features_s1100i.html
>
> I put a page in place, run:
>
> juser@cnt3:~/temp$ scanimage -v >image.pnm
> scanimage: scanning image of size 2592x3450 pixels at 1 bits/pixel
> scanimage: acquiring gray frame
> scanimage: read 1117800 bytes in total
>
> When I run that,  nothing happens for a few seconds, then it spins the feed
> rollers, paper goes though, good.
>
> I could put that in a bash loop with a read, scan, hit enter, scan, hit
> enter... ^C
>
> I am hoping there is support for the button.
>
> Or something a little more elegant than ^c.
>
> Not sure if I care about creating a multipage file, it would be handy for
> keeping track of the batches of scans, but I need to split it into separate
> files to process, so that doesn't help.

>              to [hidden email]

of my hand"

Re: multipage scans

Carl Karsten-2
Oh neat, thanks.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 7:05 AM, m. allan noah <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why not just use scanimage -b ?

allan

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 9:00 PM, Carl Karsten <[hidden email]> wrote:
> About 6 times a year I need to scan a stack of papers, between 10 and 50
> pages.
>
> I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1100
> http://scanners.fcpa.fujitsu.com/scansnap11/features_s1100i.html
>
> I put a page in place, run:
>
> juser@cnt3:~/temp$ scanimage -v >image.pnm
> scanimage: scanning image of size 2592x3450 pixels at 1 bits/pixel
> scanimage: acquiring gray frame
> scanimage: read 1117800 bytes in total
>
> When I run that,  nothing happens for a few seconds, then it spins the feed
> rollers, paper goes though, good.
>
> I could put that in a bash loop with a read, scan, hit enter, scan, hit
> enter... ^C
>
> I am hoping there is support for the button.
>
> Or something a little more elegant than ^c.
>
> Not sure if I care about creating a multipage file, it would be handy for
> keeping track of the batches of scans, but I need to split it into separate
> files to process, so that doesn't help.

>              to [hidden email]

of my hand"

Re: multipage scans

Jeffrey Ratcliffe-2
On 14 December 2015 at 14:05, m. allan noah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why not just use scanimage -b ?

Or gscan2pdf?

Re: multipage scans

Carl Karsten-2
gscan2pdf - also neat.

I see it does deskew - perhaps you can give me some advice.

The rest is kinda OT for sane-dev. happy to move if someone can suggest a more appropriate list.

I print this:

http://veyepar.nextdayvideo.com/main/recording_sheets/252/.pdf?day=12&room=OGGB_FP

As those talks are happening, write the start/end and maybe some notes.

I scan it:
OCR, find "9571" and link the image to the page where the data needs to travel to:

veyepar.nextdayvideo.com/main/C/lca/S/lca_2015/E/9571/

The "chop" step has issues.  There are 2 page layouts (p1 has more stuff in the header), I have not been consistent about scan techniques (I typically ask someone else to scan and give me the files) Paper size is not consistent, printer quality is not consistent.

I don't mind tweaking the pdf to help this process, like add a boarder or registration marks, and I have been thinking of adding little bar codes if I can figure out how to do that with reportlab

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 1:17 PM, Jeffrey Ratcliffe <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 14 December 2015 at 14:05, m. allan noah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why not just use scanimage -b ?

Or gscan2pdf?

Re: multipage scans

Jeffrey Ratcliffe-2
On 14 December 2015 at 22:19, Carl Karsten <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I see it does deskew - perhaps you can give me some advice.

gscan2pdf doesn't deskew itself - it uses unpaper for that.

I can't help thinking that writing notes on paper, scanning them, and
using the results to update a web app is less efficient than putting
the notes directly in the web app, say using a phone or tablet or
similar.

I take it that the issues in the chop step result in errors in the OCR
step. I don't really know enough about image processing to be able to
help you here. gscan2pdf is really only a GUI gluing various other
tools together.

I'm guessing, however, that if you add barcodes, then they would be
relatively easy to find with opencv:

http://opencv-python-tutroals.readthedocs.org/en/latest/py_tutorials/py_imgproc/py_template_matching/py_template_matching.html

Regards

Jeff