good adf scanners

Brad Barnett

Does anyone have any suggestions for a well supported ADF scanner, under
Linux?  The SANE support list doesn't specify such things in the summary,
which makes it more difficult to pick a good one..

Any tales of success and words of wonder are welcome!

Re: good adf scanners

Jens Gulden
Brad Barnett schrieb:

> Does anyone have any suggestions for a well supported ADF scanner, under
> Linux?  The SANE support list doesn't specify such things in the summary,
> which makes it more difficult to pick a good one..
>
> Any tales of success and words of wonder are welcome!

See the thread "Good office scanners with ADF support?" just one week
ago on this list.

Jens

Re: good adf scanners

Frank Zago
Jens Gulden wrote:

> Brad Barnett schrieb:
>

>> Does anyone have any suggestions for a well supported ADF scanner, under
>> Linux?  The SANE support list doesn't specify such things in the summary,
>> which makes it more difficult to pick a good one..
>>
>> Any tales of success and words of wonder are welcome!
>>

> See the thread "Good office scanners with ADF support?" just one week
> ago on this list.

Some scanners in the Panasonic KV-SS serie are also well supported. I don't have
any pending problems for the backend, and I know some people are using it :)
These are nice and reliable scanners, and used ones can be bought for quite
cheap on ebay.

Frank.

Re: good adf scanners

Brad Barnett
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 02:22:11 +0200
Jens Gulden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brad Barnett schrieb:
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions for a well supported ADF scanner,
> > under Linux?  The SANE support list doesn't specify such things in the
> > summary, which makes it more difficult to pick a good one..
> >
> > Any tales of success and words of wonder are welcome!
> >

> See the thread "Good office scanners with ADF support?" just one week
> ago on this list.

Hmm.

Thanks for that info, btw.

I find myself discouraged. :/  Seemingly the best solution is an evil
Brother MFC?

Does anyone have any other solutions?  If it's a MFC, I'm quite willing to
go with laser, in fact.. I'd prefer it.

Re: good adf scanners

Philip J. Hollenback
Hi Brad,

I asked the same question a week ago (as someone pointed out).  Here's
a recap of what I found out based on that and my own testing:

1. HP 74XX: works, but the scanner goes to sleep after 15 minutes and
   won't wake up without power cycle.  Also the feed mechanism tends
   to skew pages slightly.

2. HP 55XX: others say don't use these as they are broken in various
   ways.

3. HP 82XX: apparently not well supported by driver.  Note that HP
   doesn't make the 82XX or 74XX scanners, they use the Avision
   backend.

4. Brother MFC: one person reported that one of these worked well for
   him (I forget which one, but it was an inkjet).  However, a lot of
   people say the Brother devices are junk.  Plus buying a
   multifunction device just for scanning seems lame.  I have a
   perfectly good laser printer in my office and I don't need to
   replace it.

5. Some sort of Fujitsu: it seems like Fujitsu might make some
   scanners with good ADF support.  See the previous thread for
   specific models.  These generally seem to be just ADF units, not
   flatbeds.  I saw a couple on ebay for around $350.

Basically I have yet to find a good ADF scanner for my office.  I
bought an HP 7450 on ebay for $100 and that would work ok if it didn't
have the wakeup problem.  I'm thinking of buying a used Fujitsu on
ebay also for around $300-$400.  The Avision backed developer has
indicated that the problem with the 7450 should be fixable in the
backend.

There seems to be a big cliff with these devices: you can get various
mediocre to downright unusable scanners with ADFs for around $100-$500
new and used.  Or, you can get one that might really work for
$2000-$3000.  For example, Canon and Fujitsu both have
professional-looking ADF scanners in that price range.

I also have a standalone Canon PC-1060 copier in my office.  It's
clearly a scanner + a laser printer because it can scan pages into a
buffer and then print them out (i.e. the scan and the print aren't
directly connected).  It works great and has a very reliable ADF.  I'm
not sure how much it originally cost but I believe it was in the
$1000-$2000 range.

There's even a cutout on the back of this scanner that looks like it
would hold a network card.  I called Canon and they told me no such
network connection exists for that scanner.  If it did, that would be
a great solution.

I've got a Ricoh salesman coming to my office tomorrow to see if they
can sell me a networked scanner.  It's my fear that anything like that
will require Windows, though.

Anyway, that's my long-winded take on all this.  I'm actually trying
to put together a complete network scan + fax solution for my office
using a SANE scanner and Hylafax.

P.

--
Philip J. Hollenback
Telemetry Investments

Re: good adf scanners

T. Ribbrock
On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 08:28:26AM -0400, Philip J. Hollenback wrote:
> I asked the same question a week ago (as someone pointed out).  Here's
> a recap of what I found out based on that and my own testing:

> 1. HP 74XX: works, but the scanner goes to sleep after 15 minutes and
>    won't wake up without power cycle.  Also the feed mechanism tends
>    to skew pages slightly.

You forgot:

 1a. HP6250: Good driver support under Sane, but similar mechanical
     problems as the 74XX.

;-)

Cheerio,

Thomas

Re: good adf scanners

Mattias Kregert
I have a Fujitsu fi-4120 (ADF, duplex, 25ppm, SCSI+USB), works perfectly.
Expensive but competely problem free.

I use leptonlib (www.leptonica.com) for deskewing, image enhancement, etc. It is small, fast and free, deskews a full page @150 dpi in 1/10 sec. I have to deskew all images for the barcode recognition, and this is the easiest and fastest way i have found, so far.

/M

Re: good adf scanners

m. allan noah
that is nice to hear. i bet you are using SCSI. the 4120C can get a little
flaky on USB. its replacements, the 5110C and the 4120C2 seem much better
in that regard.

however, i have taken bertrik's advice and done some experiments where i
keep throwing commands at the scanner until it responds. so i may have
found a way around the usb lockup problems on the older models, without
calling usb_reset.

my kingdom for a spare moment to code it....

allan

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Mattias Kregert wrote:

> I have a Fujitsu fi-4120 (ADF, duplex, 25ppm, SCSI+USB), works perfectly.
> Expensive but competely problem free.
>
> I use leptonlib (www.leptonica.com) for deskewing, image enhancement, etc. It is small, fast and free, deskews a full page @150 dpi in 1/10 sec. I have to deskew all images for the barcode recognition, and this is the easiest and fastest way i have found, so far.
>
> /M

Re: good adf scanners

m. allan noah

oh, and watch out for some of the cheaper fujitsus, like the fi-4110, it
uses a completely different chipset, and is not supported by the fujitsu
backend. some of the older scsi models use the sp15 or avision backends, i
dont know much about those.