Quantcast

fujitus scansnap ix500 (not found by sane-find-scanner)

fujitus scansnap ix500 (not found by sane-find-scanner)

andreo73
Hi,
I'm trying to get a ix500 work on my pc with ubuntu 14.04 freshly installed; the scanner is attached through usb cable to a usb2 port (my pc has only usb2 ports)

when the usb cable is first connected (or the scanner is switched on), dmesg reports

 usb 2-6: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-pci
 usb 2-6: New USB device found, idVendor=04c5, idProduct=132b
 usb 2-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
 usb 2-6: Product: ScanSnap iX500
 usb 2-6: Manufacturer: Fujitsu

the backend is installed from the debian libsane package (version number 1.0.23-3ubuntu3)

I've modified the fujitsu.conf file appending at the end

#ScanSnap iX500
usb 0x04c5 0x132b

I've also modified /etc/default/saned to have RUN=yes  and restarted with
sudo service saned restart
(the service starts with no errors)

sane-find-scanner *does not* find anything, even with sudo

sudo scanimage -L remains silend for almost a minute, during which the scanner's blue light change status, becomes half/orange and flashing ; after a minute or more, the response is "No scanners were identified. ...."

any suggestion? where to start?

thanks!!

Re: fujitus scansnap ix500 (not found by sane-find-scanner)

m. allan noah-3
Upgrade to sane-backends 1.0.24

allan

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 11:23 AM, andreo73 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to get a ix500 work on my pc with ubuntu 14.04 freshly installed;
> the scanner is attached through usb cable to a usb2 port (my pc has only
> usb2 ports)
>
> when the usb cable is first connected (or the scanner is switched on), dmesg
> reports
>
>  usb 2-6: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-pci
>  usb 2-6: New USB device found, idVendor=04c5, idProduct=132b
>  usb 2-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
>  usb 2-6: Product: ScanSnap iX500
>  usb 2-6: Manufacturer: Fujitsu
>
> the backend is installed from the debian libsane package (version number
> 1.0.23-3ubuntu3)
>
> I've modified the fujitsu.conf file appending at the end
>
> #ScanSnap iX500
> usb 0x04c5 0x132b
>
> I've also modified /etc/default/saned to have RUN=yes  and restarted with
> sudo service saned restart
> (the service starts with no errors)
>
> sane-find-scanner *does not* find anything, even with sudo
>
> sudo scanimage -L remains silend for almost a minute, during which the
> scanner's blue light change status, becomes half/orange and flashing ; after
> a minute or more, the response is "No scanners were identified. ...."
>
> any suggestion? where to start?
>
> thanks!!

>              to [hidden email]

Re: fujitus scansnap ix500 (not found by sane-find-scanner)

andreo73
Dear allan, thanks for the quick reply

following your advice, I've installed 1.0.24 (after installing libusb-dev package, I've followed standard procedure: ./configure, make and sudo make install, now executables are under /usr/local/bin )

now sane-find-scanner works

> /usr/local/bin/sane-find-scanner

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04c5, product=0x132b) at libusb:002:007

-------------

and with sudo it works even better:

> sudo /usr/local/bin/sane-find-scanner

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04c5 [Fujitsu], product=0x132b [ScanSnap iX500]) at libusb:002:007

however sadly

> sudo /usr/local/bin/scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you .... (etc. etc.)

again the scanner remains stuck with a yellow flashing "half-light"

any suggestion? I am concerned about the message received when the scanner is powered on (from dmesg):

usb 2-6: new high-speed USB device number 7 using ehci-pci

is it normal "ehci-pci"??

any help is really welcome

thanks

 Andrea

Re: fujitus scansnap ix500 (not found by sane-find-scanner)

m. allan noah-3
Just because you are using /usr/local/scanimage, it does not mean that
it is automatically using libraries from /usr/local/lib. It might
still be using the original libs. Run the following:

SANE_DEBUG_FUJITSU=5 scanimage -L

and see what version shows up in the debugging info.

allan

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 6:32 AM, andreo73 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear allan, thanks for the quick reply
>
> following your advice, I've installed 1.0.24 (after installing libusb-dev
> package, I've followed standard procedure: ./configure, make and sudo make
> install, now executables are under /usr/local/bin )
>
> now sane-find-scanner works
>
>> /usr/local/bin/sane-find-scanner
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04c5, product=0x132b) at libusb:002:007
>
> -------------
>
> and with sudo it works even better:
>
>> sudo /usr/local/bin/sane-find-scanner
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04c5 [Fujitsu], product=0x132b [ScanSnap iX500])
> at libusb:002:007
>
> however sadly
>
>> sudo /usr/local/bin/scanimage -L
>
> No scanners were identified. If you .... (etc. etc.)
>
> again the scanner remains stuck with a yellow flashing "half-light"
>
> any suggestion? I am concerned about the message received when the scanner
> is powered on (from dmesg):
>
> usb 2-6: new high-speed USB device number 7 using ehci-pci
>
> is it normal "ehci-pci"??
>
> any help is really welcome
>
> thanks
>
>  Andrea

>              to [hidden email]

Re: fujitus scansnap ix500 (not found by sane-find-scanner)

andreo73
ouch! you're so right

> SANE_DEBUG_FUJITSU=5 scanimage -L

[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of fujitsu to 5.
[fujitsu] sane_init: fujitsu backend 1.0.111, from sane-backends 1.0.23
[fujitsu] sane_get_devices: config option "buffer-size" (262144) is > 65536, warning!

I don't understand, how can it be? did it link to the wrong libraries during compilation? how can I get the correct link?

Re: fujitus scansnap ix500 (not found by sane-find-scanner)

m. allan noah-3
Dynamic linking. You can either rebuild sane to overwrite your
existing copy, or you can change the ld config (see man ldconfig)
either on disc (/etc/ld.so.conf) or by environment variables
(LD_LIBRARY_PATH) to make it load your /usr/local/lib before your
system libs.

 man ld.so for more info.

allan

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 8:50 AM, andreo73 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ouch! you're so right
>
>> SANE_DEBUG_FUJITSU=5 scanimage -L
>
> [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of fujitsu to 5.
> [fujitsu] sane_init: fujitsu backend 1.0.111, from sane-backends 1.0.23
> [fujitsu] sane_get_devices: config option "buffer-size" (262144) is > 65536,
> warning!
>

> I don't understand, how can it be? did it link to the wrong libraries during
> compilation? how can I get the correct link?

>              to [hidden email]

Re: fujitus scansnap ix500 (not found by sane-find-scanner)

andreo73
Thanks!! Before changing /etc/ld.so.conf I try simplest methods, e.g.

1) change name of /usr/lib/sane to /usr/lib/sane_OLDVERSION hoping that it is sufficient to "remove" them from dynamical linking, but it did'nt work (wonder why...)

2) prepend LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib to the executable; this worked but only with sudo

> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib SANE_DEBUG_FUJITSU=5 scanimage -L

[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of fujitsu to 5.
[fujitsu] sane_init: fujitsu backend 1.0.117, from sane-backends 1.0.24
[fujitsu] sane_get_devices: config option "buffer-size" (262144) is > 65536, warning!
[fujitsu] connect_fd: could not open device: 11

No scanners were identified. (etc.)

or otherwise with sudo:

> sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib SANE_DEBUG_FUJITSU=5 scanimage -L

[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of fujitsu to 5.
[fujitsu] sane_init: fujitsu backend 1.0.117, from sane-backends 1.0.24
[fujitsu] sane_get_devices: config option "buffer-size" (262144) is > 65536, warning!
device `fujitsu:ScanSnap iX500:55189' is a FUJITSU ScanSnap iX500 scanner

in conclusion now with

> sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib simple-scan

I can get pages scanned!!

Hints (or reference) on how to fix the permission problem?

thanks a lot for the fast and precise help

Andrea

Re: fujitus scansnap ix500 (not found by sane-find-scanner)

m. allan noah-3
Every recent linux distro handles permissions differently. Something
in udev or hal needs to know about the scanner's vid/pid.

allan

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 9:20 AM, andreo73 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks!! Before changing /etc/ld.so.conf I try simplest methods, e.g.
>
> 1) change name of /usr/lib/sane to /usr/lib/sane_OLDVERSION hoping that it
> is sufficient to "remove" them from dynamical linking, but it did'nt work
> (wonder why...)
>
> 2) prepend LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib to the executable; this worked but
> only with sudo
>
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib SANE_DEBUG_FUJITSU=5 scanimage -L
>
> [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of fujitsu to 5.
> [fujitsu] sane_init: fujitsu backend 1.0.117, from sane-backends 1.0.24
> [fujitsu] sane_get_devices: config option "buffer-size" (262144) is > 65536,
> warning!
> [fujitsu] connect_fd: could not open device: 11
>
> No scanners were identified. (etc.)
>
> or otherwise with sudo:
>
>> sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib SANE_DEBUG_FUJITSU=5 scanimage -L
>
> [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of fujitsu to 5.
> [fujitsu] sane_init: fujitsu backend 1.0.117, from sane-backends 1.0.24
> [fujitsu] sane_get_devices: config option "buffer-size" (262144) is > 65536,
> warning!
> device `fujitsu:ScanSnap iX500:55189' is a FUJITSU ScanSnap iX500 scanner

> in conclusion now with
>
>> sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib simple-scan
>
> I can get pages scanned!!
>
> Hints (or reference) on how to fix the permission problem?
>
> thanks a lot for the fast and precise help
>
> Andrea

>              to [hidden email]

Re: fujitus scansnap ix500 (not found by sane-find-scanner)

andreo73
Ok, for the record (maybe useful for other people), in ubuntu udev is controlling usb devices mounting

I've created the new file

/etc/udev/rules.d/40_fujitsu_scanner.rules

which contains the line

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="04c5", ATTR{idProduct}=="132b", MODE:="666"

and now, whenever I switch on the scanner, the device is created with the right permissions, no more need of "sudo"

thanks again

 Andrea

Re: fujitus scansnap ix500 (not found by sane-find-scanner)

Mike
Hello Guys,

Thanks for all your posts. I've just gotten my scanner working by following your directions. Now I'm wondering, is there a way to scan without using the command:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib simple-scan

Is there a way I can use simple scan without going into terminal?
Am I right to assume that double sided scanning is not supported?

I am very novice with Linux. I appreciate everything you've already done for me.

Re: fujitus scansnap ix500 (not found by sane-find-scanner)

m. allan noah-3
A repeat of a private mail to mike:

By default, if you give no arguments to ./configure, it will install
the finished product in various directories under /usr/local. Your
PATH environment variable might include /usr/local/bin, so your
command line will use the copy of scanimage you built. However, most
linux distros do not include /usr/local/lib in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
evironment var. I have no idea why.

So, we need to make that permanent. You could do that for just your
account by modifying the scripts that run when you login. Or (my
preference) is to modify the system config files to include that
directory for every account on the system:

sudo sh -c "echo '/usr/local/lib' > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/sane.conf"
sudo ldconfig

Then you should be able to run simple-scan directly. If not, try a reboot first.

And yes- this scanner should support duplex- look for the 'source' option.

allan

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 7:33 PM, Mike <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Guys,
>
> Thanks for all your posts. I've just gotten my scanner working by following
> your directions. Now I'm wondering, is there a way to scan without using the
> command:
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib simple-scan
>
> Is there a way I can use simple scan without going into terminal?
> Am I right to assume that double sided scanning is not supported?
>
> I am very novice with Linux. I appreciate everything you've already done for
> me.

>              to [hidden email]

of my hand"