Xsane can't find network scanner

MR ZenWiz
I routinely use my Xubuntu 14.04.3 laptop, at my lady friend's house,
where she has an HP Envy 4500 all in one on her wireless network.

Xsane can't seem to find the scanner.

I've edited the /etc/sane.d/net.conf to this:

# This is the net backend config file.

## net backend options
# Timeout for the initial connection to saned. This will prevent the backend
# from blocking for several minutes trying to connect to an unresponsive
# saned host (network outage, host down, ...). Value in seconds.
# connect_timeout = 60

## saned hosts
# Each line names a host to attach to.
# If you list "localhost" then your backends can be accessed either
# directly or through the net backend.  Going through the net backend
# may be necessary to access devices that need special privileges.
localhost
mar8710w
192.168.0.11
hp envy 4500
hp-print-60-envy 4500

As far as I can tell, this require the hp5590 driver, which appears to
be installed on my machine:

mar@mar8710w:~ $ loc hp5590
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-hp5590.la
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-hp5590.so.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-hp5590.so.1.0.23
/usr/share/man/man5/sane-hp5590.5.gz

And the dll.conf has net and hp both uncommented.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

MR

Re: Xsane can't find network scanner

m. allan noah-3
The Envy 4500 is not the same as the Scanjet 4500. This device is not
supported by our sane-backends. Try the hplip project, and see if
their sane driver covers it.

allan

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 4:43 AM, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I routinely use my Xubuntu 14.04.3 laptop, at my lady friend's house,
> where she has an HP Envy 4500 all in one on her wireless network.
>
> Xsane can't seem to find the scanner.
>
> I've edited the /etc/sane.d/net.conf to this:
>
> # This is the net backend config file.
>
> ## net backend options
> # Timeout for the initial connection to saned. This will prevent the backend
> # from blocking for several minutes trying to connect to an unresponsive
> # saned host (network outage, host down, ...). Value in seconds.
> # connect_timeout = 60
>
> ## saned hosts
> # Each line names a host to attach to.
> # If you list "localhost" then your backends can be accessed either
> # directly or through the net backend.  Going through the net backend
> # may be necessary to access devices that need special privileges.
> localhost
> mar8710w
> 192.168.0.11
> hp envy 4500
> hp-print-60-envy 4500
>
> As far as I can tell, this require the hp5590 driver, which appears to
> be installed on my machine:
>
> mar@mar8710w:~ $ loc hp5590
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-hp5590.la
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-hp5590.so.1
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-hp5590.so.1.0.23
> /usr/share/man/man5/sane-hp5590.5.gz
>
> And the dll.conf has net and hp both uncommented.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks.
>
> MR

>              to [hidden email]

of my hand"

Re: Xsane can't find network scanner

MR ZenWiz
Alan,

Thanks, yes the hplip project lists the Envy 4500, but I'm pretty sure
I have that installed already.

I'll check again when I get to the machine tonight.

MR

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 5:13 AM, m. allan noah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Envy 4500 is not the same as the Scanjet 4500. This device is not
> supported by our sane-backends. Try the hplip project, and see if
> their sane driver covers it.
>
> allan
>
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 4:43 AM, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I routinely use my Xubuntu 14.04.3 laptop, at my lady friend's house,
>> where she has an HP Envy 4500 all in one on her wireless network.
>>
>> Xsane can't seem to find the scanner.
>>
>> I've edited the /etc/sane.d/net.conf to this:
>>
>> # This is the net backend config file.
>>
>> ## net backend options
>> # Timeout for the initial connection to saned. This will prevent the backend
>> # from blocking for several minutes trying to connect to an unresponsive
>> # saned host (network outage, host down, ...). Value in seconds.
>> # connect_timeout = 60
>>
>> ## saned hosts
>> # Each line names a host to attach to.
>> # If you list "localhost" then your backends can be accessed either
>> # directly or through the net backend.  Going through the net backend
>> # may be necessary to access devices that need special privileges.
>> localhost
>> mar8710w
>> 192.168.0.11
>> hp envy 4500
>> hp-print-60-envy 4500
>>
>> As far as I can tell, this require the hp5590 driver, which appears to
>> be installed on my machine:
>>
>> mar@mar8710w:~ $ loc hp5590
>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-hp5590.la
>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-hp5590.so.1
>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-hp5590.so.1.0.23
>> /usr/share/man/man5/sane-hp5590.5.gz
>>
>> And the dll.conf has net and hp both uncommented.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> MR
>>
>> --
>>              to [hidden email]
>

> --
> "well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge
> of my hand"

Re: Xsane can't find network scanner

Paul Newall
I recently set up a new  HP aio device.
I found that hplip was installed with the sane backend hpaio in
/usr/lib/sane
whereas the rest of sane backends is in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane
so a made a new link called libsane-hpaio.so.1 in
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane which points to the backend
/usr/lib/sane/libsane-hpaio.so.1.0.0
and that got my device working.

Alternatively, perhaps it's possible to configure hplip so it installs
the backend into /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane ?

Paul

On 16/10/15 20:37, MR ZenWiz wrote:

> Alan,
>
> Thanks, yes the hplip project lists the Envy 4500, but I'm pretty sure
> I have that installed already.
>
> I'll check again when I get to the machine tonight.
>
> MR
>
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 5:13 AM, m. allan noah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The Envy 4500 is not the same as the Scanjet 4500. This device is not
>> supported by our sane-backends. Try the hplip project, and see if
>> their sane driver covers it.
>>
>> allan
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 4:43 AM, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I routinely use my Xubuntu 14.04.3 laptop, at my lady friend's house,
>>> where she has an HP Envy 4500 all in one on her wireless network.
>>>
>>> Xsane can't seem to find the scanner.
>>>
>>> I've edited the /etc/sane.d/net.conf to this:
>>>
>>> # This is the net backend config file.
>>>
>>> ## net backend options
>>> # Timeout for the initial connection to saned. This will prevent the backend
>>> # from blocking for several minutes trying to connect to an unresponsive
>>> # saned host (network outage, host down, ...). Value in seconds.
>>> # connect_timeout = 60
>>>
>>> ## saned hosts
>>> # Each line names a host to attach to.
>>> # If you list "localhost" then your backends can be accessed either
>>> # directly or through the net backend.  Going through the net backend
>>> # may be necessary to access devices that need special privileges.
>>> localhost
>>> mar8710w
>>> 192.168.0.11
>>> hp envy 4500
>>> hp-print-60-envy 4500
>>>
>>> As far as I can tell, this require the hp5590 driver, which appears to
>>> be installed on my machine:
>>>
>>> mar@mar8710w:~ $ loc hp5590
>>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-hp5590.la
>>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-hp5590.so.1
>>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-hp5590.so.1.0.23
>>> /usr/share/man/man5/sane-hp5590.5.gz
>>>
>>> And the dll.conf has net and hp both uncommented.
>>>
>>> What am I missing?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> MR
>>>
>>> --
>>>               to [hidden email]
>>

>> --
>> "well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge
>> of my hand"

Re: Xsane can't find network scanner

Paul Newall
I don't really know what hplip installs where, but I'd guess that it installs the sane backend hpaio for scanning, a cups filter for printing, and the hplips toolbox which allows you to look at the status of the printer (ink levels etc). I can tell I have hplips installed since it is in the desktop menu (In settings). After installing hplip I could setup the printer from the menu: Settings/Print settings, but I could not scan until I made the link described below.

from MR ZenWiz 17/10/15
I show hpaio in the /usr/lib/sane directory as well, but not  hplip.

How do I know if that is installed for sane?  It is all over the place
elsewhere on this machine.

Thanks.

MR

On 16/10/15 20:54, Paul Newall wrote:

> I recently set up a new  HP aio device.
> I found that hplip was installed with the sane backend hpaio in
> /usr/lib/sane
> whereas the rest of sane backends is in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane
> so a made a new link called libsane-hpaio.so.1 in
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane which points to the backend
> /usr/lib/sane/libsane-hpaio.so.1.0.0
> and that got my device working.
>
> Alternatively, perhaps it's possible to configure hplip so it installs
> the backend into /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane ?
>
> Paul
>
> On 16/10/15 20:37, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>> Alan,
>>
>> Thanks, yes the hplip project lists the Envy 4500, but I'm pretty sure
>> I have that installed already.
>>
>> I'll check again when I get to the machine tonight.
>>
>> MR
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 5:13 AM, m. allan noah <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> The Envy 4500 is not the same as the Scanjet 4500. This device is not
>>> supported by our sane-backends. Try the hplip project, and see if
>>> their sane driver covers it.
>>>
>>> allan

>>> --
>>> "well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge
>>> of my hand"

Re: Xsane can't find network scanner

Paul Newall
Things to check.
try this in terminal
SANE_DEBUG_HPAIO=100 scanimage -L

I get the following lines showing that sane is actually running hpaio

[hpaio] sane_hpaio_init(): scan/sane/hpaio.c 338
[hpaio] sane_hpaio_get_devices(local=0): scan/sane/hpaio.c 357

If you don't get any lines starting [hpaio], Is hpaio uncommented in
dll.conf?

Paul

On 17/10/15 23:47, MR ZenWiz wrote:

> Same result - no devices found.
>
> mar@mar8710w:~ $ ll /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-hpa*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 Oct 17 15:38
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-hpaio.so.1 ->
> /usr/lib/sane/libsane-hpaio.so.1.0.0
>

> On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Paul Newall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I don't really know what hplip installs where, but I'd guess that it
>> installs the sane backend hpaio for scanning, a cups filter for printing,
>> and the hplips toolbox which allows you to look at the status of the printer
>> (ink levels etc). I can tell I have hplips installed since it is in the
>> desktop menu (In settings). After installing hplip I could setup the printer
>> from the menu: Settings/Print settings, but I could not scan until I made
>> the link described below.
>>
>> from MR ZenWiz 17/10/15
>> I show hpaio in the /usr/lib/sane directory as well, but not  hplip.
>>
>> How do I know if that is installed for sane?  It is all over the place
>> elsewhere on this machine.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> MR
>>
>> On 16/10/15 20:54, Paul Newall wrote:
>>> I recently set up a new  HP aio device.
>>> I found that hplip was installed with the sane backend hpaio in
>>> /usr/lib/sane
>>> whereas the rest of sane backends is in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane
>>> so a made a new link called libsane-hpaio.so.1 in
>>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane which points to the backend
>>> /usr/lib/sane/libsane-hpaio.so.1.0.0
>>> and that got my device working.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, perhaps it's possible to configure hplip so it installs the
>>> backend into /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane ?
>>>
>>> Paul

Re: Xsane can't find network scanner

MR ZenWiz
That did not seem to help:

mar@mar8710w:~ $ SANE_DEBUG_HPAIO=100 scanimage -L
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of hpaio to 100.
[hpaio] sane_hpaio_init(): scan/sane/hpaio.c 338
[hpaio] sane_hpaio_get_devices(local=0): scan/sane/hpaio.c 357

[hpaio] sane_hpaio_exit(): scan/sane/hpaio.c 351

What's next?

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Paul Newall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Things to check.
> try this in terminal
> SANE_DEBUG_HPAIO=100 scanimage -L
>
> I get the following lines showing that sane is actually running hpaio
>
> [hpaio] sane_hpaio_init(): scan/sane/hpaio.c 338
> [hpaio] sane_hpaio_get_devices(local=0): scan/sane/hpaio.c 357
>
> If you don't get any lines starting [hpaio], Is hpaio uncommented in
> dll.conf?
>
> Paul
>

> On 17/10/15 23:47, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>>
>> Same result - no devices found.
>>
>> mar@mar8710w:~ $ ll /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-hpa*
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 Oct 17 15:38
>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-hpaio.so.1 ->
>> /usr/lib/sane/libsane-hpaio.so.1.0.0
>>

>> On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Paul Newall <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't really know what hplip installs where, but I'd guess that it
>>> installs the sane backend hpaio for scanning, a cups filter for printing,
>>> and the hplips toolbox which allows you to look at the status of the
>>> printer
>>> (ink levels etc). I can tell I have hplips installed since it is in the
>>> desktop menu (In settings). After installing hplip I could setup the
>>> printer
>>> from the menu: Settings/Print settings, but I could not scan until I made
>>> the link described below.
>>>
>>> from MR ZenWiz 17/10/15
>>> I show hpaio in the /usr/lib/sane directory as well, but not  hplip.
>>>
>>> How do I know if that is installed for sane?  It is all over the place
>>> elsewhere on this machine.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> MR

>>> --
>>>              to [hidden email]

Re: Xsane can't find network scanner

Simon Matter
> That did not seem to help:
>
> mar@mar8710w:~ $ SANE_DEBUG_HPAIO=100 scanimage -L
> [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of hpaio to 100.
> [hpaio] sane_hpaio_init(): scan/sane/hpaio.c 338
> [hpaio] sane_hpaio_get_devices(local=0): scan/sane/hpaio.c 357
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
> [hpaio] sane_hpaio_exit(): scan/sane/hpaio.c 351
>
> What's next?

Did you consult the docs at http://hplipopensource.com/ to see how to set
hplip (which includes hpaio) up?

I did it once for an HP all-in-one and IIRC it required to run a hp-setup
tool on the box where sane is installed.

Regards,
Simon

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 11:14 PM, Simon Matter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Did you consult the docs at http://hplipopensource.com/ to see how to set
> hplip (which includes hpaio) up?
>
> I did it once for an HP all-in-one and IIRC it required to run a hp-setup
> tool on the box where sane is installed.

I just ran hp-setup, both as me and as root, same results:

mar@mar8710w:~ $ hp-setup -i

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.14.3)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-13 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

(Note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter>
to accept the default.)

--------------------------------
| SELECT CONNECTION (I/O) TYPE |
--------------------------------

  Num       Connection  Description
            Type
  --------  ----------
  0*        usb         Universal Serial Bus (USB)
  1         net         Network/Ethernet/Wireless (direct connection
or JetDirect)
  2         par         Parallel Port (LPT:)

Enter number 0...2 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? 1

Using connection type: net

error: No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.

I downloaded that latest hplip (3.15.9) and installed it and this still happens.

I reinstalled the printer in CUPS and I still can't get it to show up
as a scanner.

Getting very frustrated (it's been a long, poor day...).

Thanks.
MR

Re: Xsane can't find network scanner

MR ZenWiz
That said, I just ran xsane and it found the scanner and scanned a document.

So it appears that getting the latest hplip, installing it and then
installing the printer in CUPS was enough.

Strange that hp-setup couldn't find it at all.

Anyway, thanks everyone!
MR