Scanning Time Question

Spiro Angeli
Hi,

Approaching 15000 pictures 35mm I wish to know, for those who already have the
scanner (I am thinking to purchase a Nikon LS 4000 or LS 5000) how is the
scanning process.

I explain better:
If I say I have 50 pictures to scan, how do you handle the scanning process?
Is it possible to scan x number of pictures, holding them in memory and then
save them to the disk all at once or do I have to scan and save, scan and
save?

I am trying to understand what is that I will be faced with. I am also trying
to figure out how much time it will take for me to scan pictures, and am
trying to figure out how to standardize the process of manually scanning all
these pictures.

I know that scanning time depends on the depth of the scanned picture. But is
there a table that shows based on the depth of color and bits what is the
time needed for the device to scan and save?

Thank you,
Spiro

Re: Scanning Time Question

Johannes Berg
On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 12:22 +0200, Spiro Angeli wrote:

> Approaching 15000 pictures 35mm I wish to know,

Wow :)

> for those who already have the
> scanner (I am thinking to purchase a Nikon LS 4000 or LS 5000) how is the
> scanning process.

the LS5000 isn't currently supported by sane.

> If I say I have 50 pictures to scan, how do you handle the scanning process?
> Is it possible to scan x number of pictures, holding them in memory and then
> save them to the disk all at once or do I have to scan and save, scan and
> save?

You'll probably want to write a script/program that scans an image and
saves it to disk while the next one scans. That way, you don't need gigs
of memory but the scanner need not wait for the disk, nor the other way
around. An image scanned with the LS5000 would probably approach 60megs
or so.

> I am trying to understand what is that I will be faced with. I am also trying
> to figure out how much time it will take for me to scan pictures, and am
> trying to figure out how to standardize the process of manually scanning all
> these pictures.

In what format are they? slides? negatives?

> I know that scanning time depends on the depth of the scanned picture. But is
> there a table that shows based on the depth of color and bits what is the
> time needed for the device to scan and save?

There's a table here:
http://filmscanner.info/NikonSuperCoolscan5000ED.html

Scroll down all the way to the bottom, then up until you hit the tables.
Just a few things: 'ohne' = without, 'mit' = with, 'Bild'=picture,
'Bilder'=pictures, 'Stunde' = hour, 'Dia' = slide, 'Stapel'=batch,
'Vorschau'=preview, 'Einzel'=single, 'Belichtung'=exposure. (Now you
should be able to understand the tables)

johannes

Re: Scanning Time Question]

Spiro Angeli
Hi  johannes,

Yes, It is a big progect I have to work on.
Pictures are all 35mm of set of 4 per negative. They are not ( unfortunately )
on a roll.
Yes, writing a script would be super. I would have to learn this first.
But, as for model, if Nikon LS 5000 is not supported I think I will choose
Nikon LS 4000 (which by now is well supported) as also comes with a rebate
which makes it affordable.
As for application, because I am unable to run Nikon original software under
Gentoo Linux, I was thinking of  http://www.hamrick.com/ VueScan as offering
the same and more features than what Nicon offers. Do you know anything about
this or do you think gimps would be fine? Anything else to advice as
application?
As for format, I do not know yet. I assume it will be either jpeg or tiff. I
think jpeg with a good resolution would be sufficient. It is not only for
displaying on the monitor but also for prints. They have told me that
nowadays, even a jpeg can be a good graphic format as long as it is well
scanned.
As for space, once I decided the file format and the compression I can figure
out how much disk space I will need.

I like a lot the idea of the script that in the background while scanning the
next picture save the previous one.

Summing up, as of now, I have the idea of purchasing the Nikon 4000, with
slides accessory (as I also have 300 slides) and perhaps VueScan software.
There is a new Epson scanner PhotoPC F-3200 which I do not know well but it
does not show up in the compatibility list.

Do you know if VueScan still needs SANE as backend?

LAST QUESTION: Any time I have to submit/reply an email, I mail it, it gest on
hold, and then it is sent to the mailing list. Is there a way to eliminate
the hold process, so that when I need help, I just write to
[hidden email] and it gets posted?

Thank you so much for the help.!
Spiro

> On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 12:22 +0200, Spiro Angeli wrote:
> > Approaching 15000 pictures 35mm I wish to know,
>
> Wow :)
>
> > for those who already have the
> > scanner (I am thinking to purchase a Nikon LS 4000 or LS 5000) how is the
> > scanning process.
>
> the LS5000 isn't currently supported by sane.
>
> > If I say I have 50 pictures to scan, how do you handle the scanning
> > process? Is it possible to scan x number of pictures, holding them in
> > memory and then save them to the disk all at once or do I have to scan
> > and save, scan and save?
>
> You'll probably want to write a script/program that scans an image and
> saves it to disk while the next one scans. That way, you don't need gigs
> of memory but the scanner need not wait for the disk, nor the other way
> around. An image scanned with the LS5000 would probably approach 60megs
> or so.
>
> > I am trying to understand what is that I will be faced with. I am also
> > trying to figure out how much time it will take for me to scan pictures,
> > and am trying to figure out how to standardize the process of manually
> > scanning all these pictures.
>
> In what format are they? slides? negatives?
>
> > I know that scanning time depends on the depth of the scanned picture.
> > But is there a table that shows based on the depth of color and bits what
> > is the time needed for the device to scan and save?
>
> There's a table here:
> http://filmscanner.info/NikonSuperCoolscan5000ED.html
>
> Scroll down all the way to the bottom, then up until you hit the tables.
> Just a few things: 'ohne' = without, 'mit' = with, 'Bild'=picture,
> 'Bilder'=pictures, 'Stunde' = hour, 'Dia' = slide, 'Stapel'=batch,
> 'Vorschau'=preview, 'Einzel'=single, 'Belichtung'=exposure. (Now you
> should be able to understand the tables)
>
> johannes

Re: Scanning Time Question]

Johannes Berg
Hi,

> Pictures are all 35mm of set of 4 per negative. They are not ( unfortunately )
> on a roll.

So they're in strips? That sucks. You're in for quite a bit of strip
changing then.

> As for application, because I am unable to run Nikon original software under
> Gentoo Linux, I was thinking of  http://www.hamrick.com/ VueScan as offering
> the same and more features than what Nicon offers. Do you know anything about
> this or do you think gimps would be fine? Anything else to advice as
> application?

I thought you were going to use SANE. Then you don't need vuescan.

> As for format, I do not know yet. I assume it will be either jpeg or tiff. I
> think jpeg with a good resolution would be sufficient. It is not only for
> displaying on the monitor but also for prints. They have told me that
> nowadays, even a jpeg can be a good graphic format as long as it is well
> scanned.
> As for space, once I decided the file format and the compression I can figure
> out how much disk space I will need.

Yeah, whatever. You don't want to keep 20 images in memory though :)

> I like a lot the idea of the script that in the background while scanning the
> next picture save the previous one.

Should be fairly easy. Trivial, however, is
scanning,saving,scanning,saving,....

> Summing up, as of now, I have the idea of purchasing the Nikon 4000, with
> slides accessory (as I also have 300 slides) and perhaps VueScan software.

If you get the 4000 with the slides accessory you'll probably be able to
just scan from the command line and write a script to advance to the
next slide, scan, save it, .... (or use scanadf maybe).

> There is a new Epson scanner PhotoPC F-3200 which I do not know well but it
> does not show up in the compatibility list.

No idea.

> Do you know if VueScan still needs SANE as backend?

No idea.

> LAST QUESTION: Any time I have to submit/reply an email, I mail it, it gest on
> hold, and then it is sent to the mailing list. Is there a way to eliminate
> the hold process, so that when I need help, I just write to
> [hidden email] and it gets posted?

Subscribe to the list.

johannes

Re: Scanning Time Question]]

Spiro Angeli
Hi johannes,

> > LAST QUESTION: Any time I have to submit/reply an email, I mail it, it
> > gest on hold, and then it is sent to the mailing list. Is there a way to
> > eliminate the hold process, so that when I need help, I just write to
> > [hidden email] and it gets posted?
>
> johannes: Subscribe to the list.

I did subscribe to [hidden email] All I do is new email
and send it to: [hidden email]
Is this correct? If so, yes I am still getting the  [Your message to
sane-devel awaits moderator approval]
Please help me clarify this issue.

> I thought you were going to use SANE. Then you don't need vuescan.
So basically, SANE is the back end. Correct? Then as front end what will I
use? I believe I was referring to VueScan as front-end. Please clarify this
for me if I have a wrong understanding of SANE.

> So they're in strips? That sucks. You're in for quite a bit of strip
> changing then.
Don't mention it. I already feel like a disk-jokey. But, patience will do it.

Last, any good web resource for learning and preparing myself for scanning?
Like understanding colors saturations, etc..., besides also learning the
front end program?

Thank you a lot,
Spiro

Re: Scanning Time Question]]

Johannes Berg
Hi,

> I did subscribe to [hidden email] All I do is new email
> and send it to: [hidden email]
> Is this correct? If so, yes I am still getting the  [Your message to
> sane-devel awaits moderator approval]
> Please help me clarify this issue.

Oh, sorry. Then the list's server doesn't like you for some reason. But
I don't know why, the list admin might see it.

> > I thought you were going to use SANE. Then you don't need vuescan.
> So basically, SANE is the back end. Correct? Then as front end what will I
> use? I believe I was referring to VueScan as front-end. Please clarify this
> for me if I have a wrong understanding of SANE.

sane is the backend, yeah, but you want to use a script or a program
sane has as the frontend, like scanadf.

> Last, any good web resource for learning and preparing myself for scanning?
> Like understanding colors saturations, etc...,

No idea, maybe others can help (I'd be interested too).

> besides also learning the
> front end program?

You don't want a GUI front end, you want something simple that scans the
pictures in succession and saves them with numbers. if you'd need to
push a button (or more) for each picture you'll .... well...

johannes

Re: Scanning Time Question]]

Martin Collins
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 21:38:41 +0200
Johannes Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:

I didn't catch the original post so I reply to the reply...

> > So basically, SANE is the back end. Correct? Then as front end
> > what will I use? I believe I was referring to VueScan as
> > front-end. Please clarify this for me if I have a wrong
> > understanding of SANE.

SANE provides backends (drivers) and frontends (applications). This
division allows third parties to produce their own frontends (Xsane,
quiteinsane) and facilitates network scanning.
Vuescan is more monolithic, Windows style, though I believe it does
use SANE backends for some scanners. Vuescan is aimed particularly at
film scanning so supports a wider range of film scanners than SANE.

> > Last, any good web resource for learning and preparing myself for
> > scanning? Like understanding colors saturations, etc...,

www.scantips.com

Martin

Re: Scanning Time Question]]

Henning Meier-Geinitz

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 09:33:17PM +0200, Spiro Angeli wrote:
> > johannes: Subscribe to the list.
>
> I did subscribe to [hidden email]

Looks like you didn't. At least not with the address you use for
sending Mails to sane-devel ([hidden email]). I've checked the list
of subscribers and you are not there.

> All I do is new email
> and send it to: [hidden email]
> Is this correct? If so, yes I am still getting the  [Your message to
> sane-devel awaits moderator approval]
> Please help me clarify this issue.

You must use the same address for subscribing and sending mail. Or you
can subscribe multiple times and enable "no mail" for the addresses
that should only be used for sending mail.

Bye,
  Henning

Re: [Re: Scanning Time Question]]]

Spiro Angeli
Hi,

Yes, correct. I was using another email address. I did send a test message and
went through fine.

So, this is resolved and sorry for the mistake.

Thank you,
Spiro

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 09:33:17PM +0200, Spiro Angeli wrote:
> > > johannes: Subscribe to the list.
> >
> > I did subscribe to [hidden email]
>
> Looks like you didn't. At least not with the address you use for
> sending Mails to sane-devel ([hidden email]). I've checked the list
> of subscribers and you are not there.
>
> > All I do is new email
> > and send it to: [hidden email]
> > Is this correct? If so, yes I am still getting the  [Your message to
> > sane-devel awaits moderator approval]
> > Please help me clarify this issue.
>
> You must use the same address for subscribing and sending mail. Or you
> can subscribe multiple times and enable "no mail" for the addresses
> that should only be used for sending mail.
>
> Bye,
>   Henning

Re: Scanning Time Question]]

Giuseppe Sacco
Il giorno gio, 09-06-2005 alle 21:33 +0200, Spiro Angeli ha scritto:
> Hi johannes,
[...]
> > I thought you were going to use SANE. Then you don't need vuescan.
> So basically, SANE is the back end. Correct? Then as front end what will I
> use? I believe I was referring to VueScan as front-end. Please clarify this
> for me if I have a wrong understanding of SANE.
[...]

SANE includes many backends and a few frontends. There are also
"external" frontends for sane backends and "external" backends for sane
frontends.

All frontends I know are scanimage, xscanimage, xsane, gimp (uses
xscanimage or xsane), saned.

VueScan is a different product with its own frontend and backend.
VueScan and SANE are different products that do not talk each other.

An example of an "external" sane backend is HPAIO, parts of the HP Linux
Printing and Imaging System.

Giuseppe