Quantcast

Re: Canon laser multi-functional support: MFNP protocol

Re: Canon laser multi-functional support: MFNP protocol

Louis Lagendijk-2
On Wed, 2015-04-01 at 18:39 +0300, Michael Shigorin wrote:

>     Hello Louis,
>
> thank you for the SANE efforts!
>

> I've curently got access to a few MFNP capable Canon multifunctionals,
> namely imageRUNNER 1133iF and i-Sensys MF6140dn/MF8540Cdn; these avoid
> any networked scans for me so far (tried both 1.0.24 and today's git
> snapshot), but I've got some debug dumps to start with; 8540 does get
> identified (but fails to scan) while 6140 and 1133 sort of show up
> with get_scanner_id but seem to fail with sanei_bjnp_find_devices.
>

> Trying to arrange some kind of development-mode access so I could do
> pcap dumps and provide better feedback, would it be useful to you?
>

> Note that all three of these MFPs won't scan over USB for me either;
> 1133 and some other MF8xxx are marked as "untested" over at
> http://sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON -- my understanding of
> https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2011-February/028295.html is that your BJNP/MFNP code might be OK for  at least for 8540 with the actual backend needing to be fixed first.
>
> PS: I'm not subscribed to sane-devel@ yet (been "lurking" via archives
> for years though), will hopefully do as soon as I have access to my
> regular email, and it'd be good to CC the list in the meantime if this
> message is worth replying to.

Hi Mike
Before anything: if scanning over USB  does not work, trying to scan
over the network is bound to fail. Please get the mailing list to help
you with that first.
for the MF8540 first a question: what did you use to initiate the scan?
It looks as if a scan was not attempted. Please try (over USB):
scanimage > filename
and see what happens. As you saw it is not clear whether the device is
supported with the current pixma backend. Maybe somebody on the list
that knows the backend better than I do can help you with that (the
MF8500 series is listed in pixma_imageclass.c, so it is probably
possible to get it working, I only wrote the networking code).

the ImageRunner 1133 is listed too in the same file, so getting it to
work is probably possible too

The MF6100 series is not listed, but it again might be quite possible to
get it to work.

But again: please get the devices to work over USB first before you
attempt the network. On the list you should be able to get more help. I
only wrote the network code, not the bsckend proper

Kind regards, Louis

Re: Canon laser multi-functional support: MFNP protocol

Rolf Bensch-2
Hi Michael,

I just added MF6100 Series scanner to the develpoment sources. Please
fetch the recent code from git or wait for the next snapshot until tomorrow.

First, please check the scanner via USB connection and report if it is
working. After everything will be fine, you can start with ethernet.

Cheers,
Rolf

Am 01.04.2015 um 18:19 schrieb Louis Lagendijk:

> On Wed, 2015-04-01 at 18:39 +0300, Michael Shigorin wrote:
>>     Hello Louis,
>>
>> thank you for the SANE efforts!
>>

>> I've curently got access to a few MFNP capable Canon multifunctionals,
>> namely imageRUNNER 1133iF and i-Sensys MF6140dn/MF8540Cdn; these avoid
>> any networked scans for me so far (tried both 1.0.24 and today's git
>> snapshot), but I've got some debug dumps to start with; 8540 does get
>> identified (but fails to scan) while 6140 and 1133 sort of show up
>> with get_scanner_id but seem to fail with sanei_bjnp_find_devices.
>>

>> Trying to arrange some kind of development-mode access so I could do
>> pcap dumps and provide better feedback, would it be useful to you?
>>

>> Note that all three of these MFPs won't scan over USB for me either;
>> 1133 and some other MF8xxx are marked as "untested" over at
>> http://sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON -- my understanding of
>> https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2011-February/028295.html is that your BJNP/MFNP code might be OK for  at least for 8540 with the actual backend needing to be fixed first.
>>
>> PS: I'm not subscribed to sane-devel@ yet (been "lurking" via archives
>> for years though), will hopefully do as soon as I have access to my
>> regular email, and it'd be good to CC the list in the meantime if this
>> message is worth replying to.
> Hi Mike
> Before anything: if scanning over USB  does not work, trying to scan
> over the network is bound to fail. Please get the mailing list to help
> you with that first.
> for the MF8540 first a question: what did you use to initiate the scan?
> It looks as if a scan was not attempted. Please try (over USB):
> scanimage > filename
> and see what happens. As you saw it is not clear whether the device is
> supported with the current pixma backend. Maybe somebody on the list
> that knows the backend better than I do can help you with that (the
> MF8500 series is listed in pixma_imageclass.c, so it is probably
> possible to get it working, I only wrote the networking code).
>
> the ImageRunner 1133 is listed too in the same file, so getting it to
> work is probably possible too
>
> The MF6100 series is not listed, but it again might be quite possible to
> get it to work.
>
> But again: please get the devices to work over USB first before you
> attempt the network. On the list you should be able to get more help. I
> only wrote the network code, not the bsckend proper
>
> Kind regards, Louis

Re: Canon laser multi-functional support: MFNP protocol

Michael Shigorin-2
On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 07:29:55PM +0200, Rolf Bensch wrote:
> I just added MF6100 Series scanner to the develpoment sources.
> Please fetch the recent code from git or wait for the next
> snapshot until tomorrow.

Heh, managed to forget to send a draft patch in that day...

Thank you!

> First, please check the scanner via USB connection and report
> if it is working. After everything will be fine, you can start
> with ethernet.

ACK, will hopefully see the device next week.

There was MF8540CDn there too, didn't work with git20150401,
a few debug dumps were taken but there was no possibility to
usbsnoop it on the spot (hope to setup that as well).

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 06:19:05PM +0200, Louis Lagendijk wrote:
> Before anything: if scanning over USB  does not work, trying to
> scan over the network is bound to fail.

Got that; both devices and a winxp vm are handy today (will be
there next week hopefully too), here's a 15 Mb usbsnoop log:
http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-iR1133-scan-300dpi.usblog.xz

> for the MF8540 first a question: what did you use to initiate the scan?

xsane and scanimage

MF8540Cdn and MF6140dn are available for testing/dumping right now,
trying against today's git...

> It looks as if a scan was not attempted. Please try (over USB):
> scanimage > filename
> and see what happens.

Proper sounds but almost completely white image:
http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-MF8540Cdn-scanimage.ppm.xz

> As you saw it is not clear whether the device is supported with
> the current pixma backend. Maybe somebody on the list that
> knows the backend better than I do can help you with that (the
> MF8500 series is listed in pixma_imageclass.c, so it is
> probably possible to get it working, I only wrote the
> networking code).

Thank you :-)

> the ImageRunner 1133 is listed too in the same file, so getting
> it to work is probably possible too

It _does_ work for me as of RELEASE_1_0_24-292-g8c51579:
http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-iR1133iF-scanimage.ppm.xz
(the same vendor provided test print)

> The MF6100 series is not listed, but it again might be quite
> possible to get it to work.

The same almost white image as with 8540:
http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-MF6140dn-scanimage.ppm.xz

On Mon, 2015-06-22 at 14:58 +0300, Michael Shigorin wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 06:19:05PM +0200, Louis Lagendijk wrote:
> > Before anything: if scanning over USB  does not work, trying to
> > scan over the network is bound to fail.
>
> Got that; both devices and a winxp vm are handy today (will be
> there next week hopefully too), here's a 15 Mb usbsnoop log:
> http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-iR1133-scan-300dpi.usblog.xz
>
> > for the MF8540 first a question: what did you use to initiate the scan?
>
> xsane and scanimage
>
> MF8540Cdn and MF6140dn are available for testing/dumping right now,
> trying against today's git...
>
> > It looks as if a scan was not attempted. Please try (over USB):
> > scanimage > filename
> > and see what happens.

Can you please try the fixes I submitted to GIT today to see if they fix
the network issue with the MF devices?

> Proper sounds but almost completely white image:
> http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-MF8540Cdn-scanimage.ppm.xz

how did you scan? Please try
scanimage > test.ppm
to avoid problems due to settings from xsane etc.

> > As you saw it is not clear whether the device is supported with
> > the current pixma backend. Maybe somebody on the list that
> > knows the backend better than I do can help you with that (the
> > MF8500 series is listed in pixma_imageclass.c, so it is
> > probably possible to get it working, I only wrote the
> > networking code).
>
> Thank you :-)

> > the ImageRunner 1133 is listed too in the same file, so getting
> > it to work is probably possible too
>
> It _does_ work for me as of RELEASE_1_0_24-292-g8c51579:
> http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-iR1133iF-scanimage.ppm.xz
> (the same vendor provided test print)
>
> > The MF6100 series is not listed, but it again might be quite
> > possible to get it to work.
>
> The same almost white image as with 8540:
> http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-MF6140dn-scanimage.ppm.xz

As Rolf commented in a mail from April 3 the MF6100 series is added in
GIT, so it should work now.
so please try scanning with scanimage and see if that works over USB and
if it works over the network after todays fixes.

Kind regards, Louis

Re: Canon laser multi-functional support: MFNP protocol

Rolf Bensch-2
Hi,

The MF6100 Series scanner is only working with flatbed scans and with
single page scans in adf.

Just now, I'm struggling with multiple pages in adf and duplex adf. A
patch will take a while, because I only have sporadical access to a
MF6140 scanner.

Everytime the scanner reports an error on the lcd display, I need to
wait until scanimage ends, or faster I send a ^C to terminate scanimage.
However, I always need to reconnect the usb cable before scanimage can
start the next scan.

The status of this scanner still is untested.

Cheers,
Rolf

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 02:58:48PM +0300, I wrote:
> > The MF6100 series is not listed, but it again might be quite
> > possible to get it to work.
> The same almost white image as with 8540:
> http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-MF6140dn-scanimage.ppm.xz

Silly me, it wasn't "almost white" but rather a valid scan of
the scanner's background!  Managed not to check the actual page
is in place, sorry for being *that* stupid that day...

Retested as of RELEASE_1_0_24-296-g0655b05 and these are the
results with a USB2-connected crop of Canon devices:

MF8540Cdn: scanimage OK, xsane OK (75/150/300/600, colour/bw)
  (at least "Good" by me)

MF6140dn and iR1133if: scanimage/xsane OK _BUT_ only once, sort of
  (might be "Basic", don't know if this passes for git)

Now there's a problem with 6140 and 1133 that looks like this:

- scanimage produces a file (which is fine);
- second scanimage in a row hangs;
- xsane hangs too when trying to preview/scan;
- turning "remote scan" off and on is not enough;
- turning the device off and on (with subsequent
  selection of scan mode plus "remote scan") helps;
- scanimage would hang the same after xsane;
- several consecutive scans using a running xsane
  instance are OK (e.g., different density).

6140 also exhibited weird behaviour at 600dpi (the sound's also
different from 75/150/300 which scanned just fine): the head
might have been hitting the edge for a second or two with the
result being gray bands along the scanning direction at the end
of the file, I've uploaded a (8Kx5K) sample here just in case:
http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-MF6140dn-xsane-600dpi.jpeg

1133 didn't hit that (the 600dpi sound is also different) but the
image quality suffers from some kind of a "cellular" effect, see
http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-iR1133iF-xsane-600dpi.jpeg
(300dpi and lower are fine though).

Again, 8500 had neither of these problems for me now --
never got stuck whatever scanimage/xsane/scanimage I did,
the image wasn't distorted, the head didn't hit anything.
At least so far. :)

Thank you!

On Thu, Jul 02, 2015 at 07:54:51PM +0300, I wrote:
> MF8540Cdn: scanimage OK, xsane OK (75/150/300/600, colour/bw)
>   (at least "Good" by me)

So I've tried networked scanning; the device configured via DHCP
popped up in both scanimage -L and xsane's startup list but the
actual attempt to scan resulted in a second-long pause and error:

scanimage: open of device pixma:MF8500C_c219 failed: Operation was cancelled

Here's the strace snippet:

socket(PF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_UDP) = 6
connect(6, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(8610), sin_addr=inet_addr("10.1.1.219")}, 16) = 0
send(6, "MFNP\2\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0", 16, 0) = 16
select(7, [6], NULL, NULL, {4, 0})      = 1 (in [6], left {3, 999871})
recv(6, "MFNP\202\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\20\0\1\200\0\6\4,\236\374RY\n\n\1\1\333", 2048, 0) = 32
close(6)                                = 0
write(2, "scanimage: open of device pixma:"..., 77scanimage: open of device pixma:MF8500C_c219 failed: Operation was cancelled
) = 77

What do I do to help debug this?

TIA :)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info

Re: Canon laser multi-functional support: MFNP protocol

Michael Shigorin-2
On Thu, Jul 02, 2015 at 07:54:51PM +0300, I wrote:

> > > The MF6100 series is not listed, but it again might be quite
> > > possible to get it to work.
> > The same almost white image as with 8540:
> > http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-MF6140dn-scanimage.ppm.xz
>
> Silly me, it wasn't "almost white" but rather a valid scan of
> the scanner's background!  Managed not to check the actual page
> is in place, sorry for being *that* stupid that day...
>
> Retested as of RELEASE_1_0_24-296-g0655b05 and these are the

FIX: the packages built were RELEASE_1_0_24-292-g8c51579,
updating to RELEASE_1_0_24-296-g0655b05 now.  This matters.

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 08:02:05PM +0200, Louis Lagendijk wrote:
> > > for the MF8540 first a question: what did you use to initiate the scan?
> > xsane and scanimage
> >
> > > It looks as if a scan was not attempted. Please try (over USB):
> > > scanimage > filename
> > > and see what happens.
>
> Can you please try the fixes I submitted to GIT today to see if
> they fix the network issue with the MF devices?

Sorry for today's noise on the list, your commits have fixed
networked scanning with MF8540 indeed: RELEASE_1_0_24-296-g0655b05
scans over ethernet just as fine as it does over USB now (so it
probably qualifies as "Perfect" for me given that I have no clue
about ADF use anyways but then again I'm not a demanding user).

> > Proper sounds but almost completely white image:
> > http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-MF8540Cdn-scanimage.ppm.xz
> how did you scan?

As mentioned in another today's message, I scanned background!

> > > The MF6100 series is not listed, but it again might be quite
> > > possible to get it to work.
> > The same almost white image as with 8540:
> > http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-MF6140dn-scanimage.ppm.xz
> As Rolf commented in a mail from April 3 the MF6100 series is
> added in GIT, so it should work now.  so please try scanning
> with scanimage and see if that works over USB and if it works
> over the network after todays fixes.

The problems with two scanimage/xsane runs in a row are
still there as of today's git though.

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 11:12:22PM +0200, Rolf Bensch wrote:
> The MF6100 Series scanner is only working with flatbed scans
> and with single page scans in adf.

Is ADF facility onboard or an option there?

> Just now, I'm struggling with multiple pages in adf and duplex
> adf. A patch will take a while, because I only have sporadical
> access to a MF6140 scanner.
>
> Everytime the scanner reports an error on the lcd display,
> I need to wait until scanimage ends, or faster I send a ^C to
> terminate scanimage.  However, I always need to reconnect the
> usb cable before scanimage can start the next scan.

Hm, usb cable seems to suffice indeed, that has led to another
round of iR1133 experiments (will come as yet another message).

> The status of this scanner still is untested.

That looks like "minimal" to me as it's apparently been tested
and can squeeze at least a scan per replug but oh well :-)

On Thu, Jul 02, 2015 at 08:54:25PM +0300, I wrote:

> FIX: the packages built were RELEASE_1_0_24-292-g8c51579,
> updating to RELEASE_1_0_24-296-g0655b05 now.  This matters.
>
> > Now there's a problem with 6140 and 1133 that looks like this:
> >
> > - scanimage produces a file (which is fine);
> > - second scanimage in a row hangs;
> > - xsane hangs too when trying to preview/scan;
> > - turning "remote scan" off and on is not enough;
> > - turning the device off and on (with subsequent
> >   selection of scan mode plus "remote scan") helps;
> > - scanimage would hang the same after xsane;
> > - several consecutive scans using a running xsane
> >   instance are OK (e.g., different density).

Seems like 8c51579..0655b05 have changed things a bit for 1133,
I've spotted this behaviour now:

- scanimage; scanimage // OK
- xsane // preview stuck, power cycle
- scanimage; scanimage // OK
- xsane // preview stuck, read Rolf's cable replug notice, ok
- scanimage; scanimage // OK again
- xsane // now scan instead of preview -- worked!
- xsane // preview stuck again

> > 6140 also exhibited weird behaviour at 600dpi (the sound's also
> > different from 75/150/300 which scanned just fine): the head
> > might have been hitting the edge for a second or two with the
> > result being gray bands along the scanning direction at the end
> > of the file, I've uploaded a (8Kx5K) sample here just in case:
> > http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-MF6140dn-xsane-600dpi.jpeg

This holds; the scans are also strictly one-time, I've not been
able to find a scanimage/xsane (both starting with preview or not)
combos that wouldn't hang reliably until USB cable is replugged
between libsane clients' invocations.

> > 1133 didn't hit that (the 600dpi sound is also different) but the
> > image quality suffers from some kind of a "cellular" effect, see
> > http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-iR1133iF-xsane-600dpi.jpeg
> > (300dpi and lower are fine though).

This seems to have disappeared as of commit 0655b05.

Phew, gotta go home finally :-)

On Thu, Jul 02, 2015 at 09:33:18PM +0300, I wrote:
> > > 6140 also exhibited weird behaviour at 600dpi (the sound's also
> > > different from 75/150/300 which scanned just fine): the head
> > > might have been hitting the edge for a second or two with the
> > > result being gray bands along the scanning direction at the end
> > > of the file, I've uploaded a (8Kx5K) sample here just in case:
> > > http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-MF6140dn-xsane-600dpi.jpeg
> This holds

Also for networked scans unfortunately.

> the scans are also strictly one-time, I've not been able to
> find a scanimage/xsane (both starting with preview or not)
> combos that wouldn't hang reliably until USB cable is replugged
> between libsane clients' invocations.

And this is NOT observed with networking scans, that is
scanimage; scanimage; xsane; xsane; scanimage is fine.

> > > 1133 didn't hit that (the 600dpi sound is also different) but the
> > > image quality suffers from some kind of a "cellular" effect, see
> > > http://fly.osdn.org.ua/~mike/tmp/sane-pixma/Canon-iR1133iF-xsane-600dpi.jpeg
> > > (300dpi and lower are fine though).

Unable to test networking, need to get an admin PIN
(seems this one has been locked unlike the two others).

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info

Re: Canon laser multi-functional support: MFNP protocol

Rolf Bensch-2
Hi Michael,

My recent commit to Sane sources fixed an issue of scanimage. Please
install recent Sane from source and test if you still need to replug
after each scan.

Cheers,
Rolf

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 12:45:27PM +0200, Rolf Bensch wrote:
> My recent commit to Sane sources fixed an issue of scanimage.
> Please install recent Sane from source and test if you still
> need to replug after each scan.

Hey thank you, will try when I get to the hardware again!

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info

Re: Canon laser multi-functional support: MFNP protocol

Rolf Bensch-2

I just committed several fixes for the MF6100 Series to Sane's git
repository.

Everything is working now: Flatbed, ADF and ADFDUP.

On a USB connection the scanner usual timeouts the 1st usb command after
a previous scan. I fixed this by resending the failed command. This
doesn't affect ethernet connections. Maybe somebody can find the reason
why the timeout occurs on USB.

My favourite gui for ADF and ADFDUP is gscan2pdf.

Cheers,
Rolf

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 09:51:00PM +0100, Rolf Bensch wrote:
> I just committed several fixes for the MF6100 Series to Sane's
> git repository.  Everything is working now: Flatbed, ADF and
> ADFDUP.

Hey thank you!  Will try to retest (the hardware was sent back
after testing last year as it has fulfilled the task).