Problems with MX712 via Network

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problems with MX712 via Network

warnes
Hi All,

First, thanks for all the work that goes into running a project like this!  I'm providing this information to help debugging the Canon PIXMA MX710 series support.

I have a brand new Canon Pixma MX712 ($54.99 at BJ's!). Since the sane-pixma 1.0.23 driver wasn't happy, I've installed sane-backends 1.0.24git, and I'm having mixed success scanning documents.

At times, everything runs nicely, other times I get connection or I/O errors.  Sometimes there seems to be no trigger for the errors, other times they seem to be triggered by a problem, such as a paper-jam in the auto-document feeder.

O/S:        Ubuntu 13.04
Frontend: SimpleScan (when it works)
SANE version:
               scanimage -V
               scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.24git; backend version 1.0.24

Results of successful scanimage -T:  success.txt
Results of failed scanimage -T: failure.txt

Turning off the printer when it is not working *sometimes* resolves the problem.

-Greg

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with MX712 via Network

Louis Lagendijk-2
On Wed, 2013-07-17 at 08:49 -0700, warnes wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> First, thanks for all the work that goes into running a project like this!
> I'm providing this information to help debugging the Canon PIXMA MX710
> series support.
>
> I have a brand new Canon Pixma MX712 ($54.99 at BJ's!). Since the sane-pixma
> 1.0.23 driver wasn't happy, I've installed sane-backends 1.0.24git, and I'm
> having mixed success scanning documents.
>
> At times, everything runs nicely, other times I get connection or I/O
> errors.  Sometimes there seems to be no trigger for the errors, other times
> they seem to be triggered by a problem, such as a paper-jam in the
> auto-document feeder.
>
> O/S:        Ubuntu 13.04
> Frontend: SimpleScan (when it works)
> SANE version:
>                scanimage -V
>                scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.24git; backend version 1.0.24
>
> Results of successful scanimage -T:   success.txt
> <http://sane.10972.n7.nabble.com/file/n17777/success.txt>  
> Results of failed scanimage -T:  failure.txt
> <http://sane.10972.n7.nabble.com/file/n17777/failure.txt>  
>
> Turning off the printer when it is not working *sometimes* resolves the
> problem.
The dirst question is: does scanning over USB work well? If so, we can
start debugging the network code. If not, we need to look at the backend
itself....

If USB works well, please try the following:
export SANE_DEBUG_BJNP=3
and perform a scan (preferably using scanimage) and mail me the
resulting logfile

Kind regards, Louis



--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with MX712 via Network

warnes
Hi Louis,

I connected t he printer via USB and ran: 

     export SANE_DEBUG_BJNP=3
     scanimage | tee scanimage.log

The logfile is attached.

-Greg



On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Louis Lagendijk-2 [via SANE] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2013-07-17 at 08:49 -0700, warnes wrote:

> Hi All, 

> First, thanks for all the work that goes into running a project like this! 
> I'm providing this information to help debugging the Canon PIXMA MX710 
> series support. 

> I have a brand new Canon Pixma MX712 ($54.99 at BJ's!). Since the sane-pixma 
> 1.0.23 driver wasn't happy, I've installed sane-backends 1.0.24git, and I'm 
> having mixed success scanning documents. 

> At times, everything runs nicely, other times I get connection or I/O 
> errors.  Sometimes there seems to be no trigger for the errors, other times 
> they seem to be triggered by a problem, such as a paper-jam in the 
> auto-document feeder. 

> O/S:        Ubuntu 13.04 
> Frontend: SimpleScan (when it works) 
> SANE version: 
>                scanimage -V 
>                scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.24git; backend version 1.0.24 

> Results of successful scanimage -T:   success.txt 
> <http://sane.10972.n7.nabble.com/file/n17777/success.txt>   
> Results of failed scanimage -T:  failure.txt 
> <http://sane.10972.n7.nabble.com/file/n17777/failure.txt>   

> Turning off the printer when it is not working *sometimes* resolves the 
> problem.
The dirst question is: does scanning over USB work well? If so, we can 
start debugging the network code. If not, we need to look at the backend 
itself.... 

If USB works well, please try the following: 
export SANE_DEBUG_BJNP=3 
and perform a scan (preferably using scanimage) and mail me the 
resulting logfile 

Kind regards, Louis 



-- 
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email] 
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password" 
             to [hidden email] 



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://sane.10972.n7.nabble.com/Problems-with-MX712-via-Network-tp17777p17778.html
To unsubscribe from Problems with MX712 via Network, click here.
NAML



-- 
"Whereas true religion and good morals are the only solid foundations of public liberty and happiness . . . it is hereby earnestly recommended to the several States to take the most effectual measures for the encouragement thereof." Continental Congress, 1778

scanimage.log (2M) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with MX712 via Network

Louis Lagendijk-2
On Wed, 2013-07-17 at 09:42 -0700, warnes wrote:

> Hi Louis,
>
>
> I connected t he printer via USB and ran:
>
>
>      export SANE_DEBUG_BJNP=3
>
>      scanimage | tee scanimage.log
>
>
>
> The logfile is attached.
>
>
> -Greg
Not exavlty what I asked: first determine whether the issue is in the
backend by scanning over USB. If that does not work either, the issue is
in the pixma backend code (and Rolf can probably help you there).

If scanning over USB does work, do a scan _over_the_network_ (with the
setting mentioned above). But again, this does not make sense when the
scan over USB fails too.

Louis



--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with MX712 via Network

warnes
In reply to this post by Louis Lagendijk-2
Hi Louis,

I've connected via the USB, and the problem persists when scanning using the ADF.  It looks like the driver isn't recognizing when the last page has been scanned, and keeps waiting for data (see logs attached, one for simple-scan and one for scanimage), eventually timing out after 8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1=36 seconds.

Once the ADF scan has timed-out waiting for a new page, all future scan requests fail (see scanimage-T.log), eventually timing out.

Disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable, as recommended by the log message, resolves the problem (on USB)

-Greg

scanimage-T.log (3K) Download Attachment
scanimage.batch.log (4K) Download Attachment
simple-scan-batch.log (7K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems with MX712 via Network

Rolf Bensch-2
Hi Greg,

I know about the paper empty bug and I'm struggling to forward the paper empty (or finish scan) status to the frontend (scanimage) for multi page scan jobs. If I won't find a solution soon, I'll ask the mailing list with a more detailed description.

On the other hand please test all scan resolutions. I guess that your scanner is working fine for resoltions <= 600 dpi and will produce double and/or quad images above 600 dpi. If so I can provide a patch.

Cheers,
Rolf


Am 17.07.2013 22:30, schrieb warnes:
Hi Louis,

I've connected via the USB, and the problem persists when scanning using the ADF.  It looks like the driver isn't recognizing when the last page has been scanned, and keeps waiting for data (see logs attached, one for simple-scan and one for scanimage), eventually timing out after 8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1=36 seconds.

Once the ADF scan has timed-out waiting for a new page, all future scan requests fail (see scanimage-T.log), eventually timing out.

Disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable, as recommended by the log message, resolves the problem (on USB)

-Greg

scanimage-T.log (3K) Download Attachment
scanimage.batch.log (4K) Download Attachment
simple-scan-batch.log (7K) Download Attachment


View this message in context: Re: Problems with MX712 via Network
Sent from the SANE - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.


--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]