Newbie Strugling with epjitsu

jojuez
Sorry in advance for my lack of knowledge. I am attempting to configure and use a Fujitsu Scansnap S300 on a Ubuntu 7.10 machine. I have installed the sane backends. However after the install, by default there was no epjitsu.conf file in the sane.d directory. I was able to search and find a sample file and copied it over to the sane.d directory. I also copied the firmware file to a directory and pointed the configuration file to it.
When I do a sane-find-scanner the device shows up as a USB scanner. However, when I try scanimage -L it is not discovered. I am certain I have missed something, however, try as I may I can't seem to find what that something is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.