Kyocera FS-1118 MFP

Rainer Bendig aka Ny
Hi,

does anyone know if the scanner of the multi-function-printer "Kyocera
FS-1118 MFP" works with sane?

Kyocera said nothing in replies to my mails :-(

Greetings,
Rainer

Re: Kyocera FS-1118 MFP

Till Kamppeter
David, Markus, any chance here?

    Till

Rainer Bendig aka Ny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anyone know if the scanner of the multi-function-printer "Kyocera
> FS-1118 MFP" works with sane?
>
> Kyocera said nothing in replies to my mails :-(
>
> Greetings,
> Rainer

RE: Kyocera FS-1118 MFP

David Chamberlin
Hi Rainer,

Currently, Kyocera Mita does not have any planned development for a sane
backend to interface to the native TWAIN network interfaces in our MFPs.  It
is something for consideration.

Regards,

David C. Chamberlin
Manager, Software Development
[hidden email]
(925) 849-3307 direct

> does anyone know if the scanner of the multi-function-printer "Kyocera
> FS-1118 MFP" works with sane?
>
> Kyocera said nothing in replies to my mails :-(
>
> Greetings,
> Rainer

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

RE: Kyocera FS-1118 MFP

Johannes Meixner

Hello,

On Jun 20 23:40 David Chamberlin wrote:
> Currently, Kyocera Mita does not have any planned development for a sane
> backend to interface to the native TWAIN network interfaces in our MFPs.  It
> is something for consideration.
> Rainer Bendig aka Ny wrote:
> > does anyone know if the scanner of the multi-function-printer
> > "Kyocera FS-1118 MFP" works with sane?

As the Kyocera FS-1118 MFP looks like a big and fat network
printer scanner copier device, the question is whether a SANE driver
(i.e. a SANE backend) is really needed to use it with Linux
or whether one can use this device also stand-alone.

Normally one can scan directly on a big and fat network
printer scanner copier and specify scan resolution
and image file format (e.g. tiff, PDF, ...) and all the
other scanning options directly at the device and in
particular one can specify an e-mail address to which
the device will send the scanned image file so that one
will receive the scanned image as a mail attachment
according to what was specified as image file format.

This way of operating is much more convenient for the user
because when you would use a sane backend you would have
to specify all the scanning parameters on your workstation
by using a sane frontend.
But your workstation is normally far away from the network
scanner device so that you would have to place a sheet in
the network scanner and post a big red note on the network
scanner that you are currently using it for scanning so that
others know what is going on and don't remove your sheet,
then walk back to your workstation to specify the scanning
parameters and start the scan and finally you would have
to walk again to the network scanner to fetch your sheet
and remove your note and walk back to your workstation.
Of course this way of operating is much better for the
physical health of the company staff ;-)

According to what I read on a German Kyocera page
http://www.kyocera.de/kyocera_n/german/news/fs_1118mfp_07.html
it supports "Scan-to-E-Mail" which is hopefully exactly
what I described above.

David, Marcus,
doesn't this work with the FS-1118 MFP?
Or means "Scan-to-E-Mail" something different in this case?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: [hidden email]
90409 Nuernberg, Germany                    WWW: http://www.suse.de/

RE: Kyocera FS-1118 MFP

David Chamberlin

Hi Johannes,

Actually the Kyocera FS-1118 MFP can be considered a desktop model similar in footprint to the FS-1010...

Although it is most probably that this unit is shared in a network environment, there still may be a possibility that someone may be using this stand-alone at their desk for scanning.

We may still consider to prepare a sane backend, depending on the difficulty and GPL issues in order to support proprietary network TWAIN interfaces on Kyocera MFPs.

The network TWAIN interface on most of our MFP products is currently proprietary and presents GPL issues with any open source inclusion in the sane project.

However, support for TWAIN on this device is included but not supported over the network.  It only supports local USB connection.  So, the development may be easier.

As of this point, we haven't investigated compatibility with our TWAIN USB implementation and the generic sanei_usb interface, and whether we would need to create some special USB kernel drivers.

I guess a first start would be to check it with sane-find-scanner(1) to see if it can be detected.

FYI, this model does support Scan to E-Mail, Scan to FTP, and Scan to SMB (Samba) directly from the front panel as you would imagine.

Best regards,

David C. Chamberlin
Manager, Software Development
[hidden email]

> Currently, Kyocera Mita does not have any planned development for a sane
> backend to interface to the native TWAIN network interfaces in our MFPs.  It
> is something for consideration.
> Rainer Bendig aka Ny wrote:
> > does anyone know if the scanner of the multi-function-printer
> > "Kyocera FS-1118 MFP" works with sane?

As the Kyocera FS-1118 MFP looks like a big and fat network
printer scanner copier device, the question is whether a SANE driver
(i.e. a SANE backend) is really needed to use it with Linux
or whether one can use this device also stand-alone.

Normally one can scan directly on a big and fat network
printer scanner copier and specify scan resolution
and image file format (e.g. tiff, PDF, ...) and all the
other scanning options directly at the device and in
particular one can specify an e-mail address to which
the device will send the scanned image file so that one
will receive the scanned image as a mail attachment
according to what was specified as image file format.

This way of operating is much more convenient for the user
because when you would use a sane backend you would have
to specify all the scanning parameters on your workstation
by using a sane frontend.
But your workstation is normally far away from the network
scanner device so that you would have to place a sheet in
the network scanner and post a big red note on the network
scanner that you are currently using it for scanning so that
others know what is going on and don't remove your sheet,
then walk back to your workstation to specify the scanning
parameters and start the scan and finally you would have
to walk again to the network scanner to fetch your sheet
and remove your note and walk back to your workstation.
Of course this way of operating is much better for the
physical health of the company staff ;-)

According to what I read on a German Kyocera page
http://www.kyocera.de/kyocera_n/german/news/fs_1118mfp_07.html
it supports "Scan-to-E-Mail" which is hopefully exactly
what I described above.

David, Marcus,
doesn't this work with the FS-1118 MFP?
Or means "Scan-to-E-Mail" something different in this case?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: [hidden email]
90409 Nuernberg, Germany                    WWW:
http://www.suse.de/

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: RE: Kyocera FS-1118 MFP

Rainer Bendig aka Ny
David Chamberlin wrote on Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 10:17:37AM -0700:
> FYI, this model does support Scan to E-Mail, Scan to FTP, and Scan to SMB
> (Samba) directly from the front panel as you would imagine.
The only problem with scan-to-.* is that it scans the whole scanning
area which is giving me a big, big file which I must first crop and so
on. (scan-to-scp would be very nice :P). I don't run either smb, ftp
or e-mail servers in my network. So i must send it via internet which
means round about 4 megs for one picture uploading to my smtp with
12kb/s and then i need to download it again :-). It works, yes but its
aching. (is that the right word for "weh tun"?).

And yes, sane-find-scanners finds the big, big baby like the
following:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x0482 [Kyocera], product=0x032b [Kyocera FS-1118MFP]) at libusb:004:006
found USB scanner (vendor=0x0ac8 [Z-Star Corp.], product=0x301b [PC Camera]) at libusb:001:005

last one is my build in webcam which i cannot use with linux, unix or
bsd. sane-find-scanners lists all (also unsupported) devices AFAIK)

scanimage -L results as the following:

(And yes, I really really hate X.)