HP ScanJet 2300C and genesys backend

Nightwulf
Hi,

first I want to say big thanks to all the guys involved in the genesys
backend. I was nearly ready to sell the scanner and buy another one. Normally
I have a close look at what hardware I buy in oder to get linux compatible
hardware. This time I thought "well, it's a HP, it will
work".....uhm...yeah :)
Now it's time to give you guys at least a complete feedback of what I did and
how it worked:
Yesterday I tried the driver with archlinux, custom 2.6.11.7 kernel and
libusb-0.1.10a, sane snapshots from 05/06/11. After some smaller difficulties
in figuring out how the device line has to be set for libusb (no problems
with integrating the experimental genesys cvs code to the sane-snapshots
whatsoever btw...great README),  I was able to scan a whole page with
scanimage. The only strange thing was, that sane-find-scanner did find the
scanner while scanimage -L didn't. After a reboot (perhaps usb-config-stuff?)
it worked with scanimage -L and xscanimage as well as kooka also as a normal
user. I was impressed :)
I did some tests then and found some problems with the different applications
I wanna let you know of:
1. xscanimage:
- 600dpi res, color, 16bits -> pic seems to be distorted (looks like a picture
for the old 3d-glasses, red and green for left and right eye)
- acquire preview doesn't work, the scan light carrier seems to hit the front
of the scanner case (switched off quickly then)

2. kooka
- 600 dpi, color mode seems to hang up the scanner...the scan light seems to
do one step forward and one back all the time
- preview doesn't work, scanning lights are switched on and then nothing
happens anymore

3. scanimage
- no problems so far using only standard scans (whole page, gray or color
mode)

I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to tell me if I can be of further
help.

Greets,

Torsten

Re: HP ScanJet 2300C and genesys backend

Stéphane VOLTZ
Le Dimanche 12 Juin 2005 22:44, Nightwulf a écrit :
> 1. xscanimage:
> - 600dpi res, color, 16bits -> pic seems to be distorted (looks like a
> picture for the old 3d-glasses, red and green for left and right eye)
> - acquire preview doesn't work, the scan light carrier seems to hit the
> front of the scanner case (switched off quickly then)

        Does it happen at every resolution ? Can you send a sample image ?

> 2. kooka
> - 600 dpi, color mode seems to hang up the scanner...the scan light seems
> to do one step forward and one back all the time

        There is a bandwidth problem with libusb. When the scan is too wide
at high resolutions, data aren't read fast enough, and the scanner has to
pause (by going backward) waiting for the frontend. There's nothing that
can be done fixing that.

> - preview doesn't work, scanning lights are switched on and then nothing
> happens anymore

        Unfortunately, there is a bug related to USB. HP2300C get stuck in warmup
after another session of a frontend ended. Re try with unplugging/plugging
scanner's usb cable.

> 3. scanimage
> - no problems so far using only standard scans (whole page, gray or color
> mode)
>
> I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to tell me if I can be of further
> help.
>
> Greets,
>
> Torsten

Regards,
        Stef

Re: HP ScanJet 2300C and genesys backend

Stéphane VOLTZ
        Hello,

        I have just commited a one-liner fix for MD6471 hangs. I expect it
to improves the HP2300C behaviour. Can you check that with the version
previous thix fix that 2 subsequent scanimage hangs, by going in
sane-backends/backend and doing:

export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS=255
export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS_GL646=255
export LD_PRELOAD=.libs/libsane-genesys.so
scanimage --mode Color --resolution 75 >preview.pnm 2>log1
scanimage --mode Color --resolution 75 >preview.pnm 2>log2

the second one whould hang in lamp warmup and there must be an I/O
Error. Then import latest CVS and compile. Things should be better.
Send me log1 & log2 files in case of persistent trouble.

Regards,
        Stef

Le Lundi 13 Juin 2005 06:16, Stéphane VOLTZ a écrit :
> Le Dimanche 12 Juin 2005 22:44, Nightwulf a écrit :
> > 1. xscanimage:
> > - 600dpi res, color, 16bits -> pic seems to be distorted (looks like a
> > picture for the old 3d-glasses, red and green for left and right eye)
> > - acquire preview doesn't work, the scan light carrier seems to hit the
> > front of the scanner case (switched off quickly then)
>
> Does it happen at every resolution ? Can you send a sample image ?

        Hello,

        did you get some time to test at 16 bits again ?

Regards,
        Stef