Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 supported?

12

Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 supported?

Jason Umbarger
Is the Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 supported by sane?

This is the new replacement for the ScanSnap S1500.  I've edited
fujitsu.conf to include product 0x132b

sane-find-scanner finds the scanner, but scanimage -L doesn't.

Any idea how I can get this scanner to work with Ubuntu 12.04?

Thanks,
Jason Umbarger

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 supported?

m. allan noah-3
Haha- you are the third person this week to ask that question. I have
a patch in development, but it is not ready yet. Perhaps next week.

allan

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Jason Umbarger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is the Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 supported by sane?
>
> This is the new replacement for the ScanSnap S1500.  I've edited
> fujitsu.conf to include product 0x132b
>
> sane-find-scanner finds the scanner, but scanimage -L doesn't.
>
> Any idea how I can get this scanner to work with Ubuntu 12.04?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason Umbarger

>              to [hidden email]

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 supported?

m. allan noah-3
I have been provided a loaner iX500. Last night I got my crude patch
to sane-backends to extract image data. It will take me some time to
clean this patch up and do enough tests to release it. But, we are
getting closer. Physical access to hardware makes this process much
easier.

VK

m. allan noah <kitno455 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have been provided a loaner iX500. Last night I got my crude patch
> to sane-backends to extract image data. It will take me some time to
> clean this patch up and do enough tests to release it. But, we are
> getting closer. Physical access to hardware makes this process much
> easier.
>
> allan

Cool. Your efforts are much appreciated. I'm also looking forward to support for
this scanner.

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 supported?

m. allan noah-3
I have just committed an updated version (113) of the fujitsu backend
to our git repo. You can get a current git checkout of sane-backends,
or you can wait until tomorrow and download one of our git snapshots:
http://www.sane-project.org/source.html

This updated provides initial support for the iX500. So far this is
color mode only. I have not yet managed to make the thing scan in
binary or gray.

Please try it out and let me know if you find any problems with color scans.

VK

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 supported?

VK
m. allan noah <kitno455 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have just committed an updated version (113) of the fujitsu backend
> to our git repo. You can get a current git checkout of sane-backends,
> or you can wait until tomorrow and download one of our git snapshots:
> http://www.sane-project.org/source.html
>
> This updated provides initial support for the iX500. So far this is
> color mode only. I have not yet managed to make the thing scan in
> binary or gray.
>
> Please try it out and let me know if you find any problems with color scans.
>
> allan

Thanks.

I tried git snapshots 20130227 and 20130228 on Fedora 18. I've never really had
to play with SANE before, so I'm ignorant of the architecture. I think I have it
built right, but I did install to its own tree under /opt/sane/backends/...

First, sane-find-scanner found it.

Then I ran 'scanimage -L' and it SEGV'd:

-------------
# gdb ./scanimage ./core.7423
GNU gdb (GDB) Fedora (7.5.1-36.fc18)
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu".
Reading symbols from /opt/sane/backends/20130228/bin/scanimage...done.
[New LWP 7423]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib64/libthread_db.so.1".
Core was generated by `./scanimage -L'.
#0  __strcmp_sse42 () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/strcmp-sse42.S:162
162 movdqu (%rdi), %xmm1
(gdb) bt
#0  __strcmp_sse42 () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/strcmp-sse42.S:162
#1  0x00007f12b6cf1be5 in store_device (device=...) at sanei_usb.c:344
#2  0x00007f12b6cf2599 in sanei_usb_init () at sanei_usb.c:674
#3  0x00007f12b03a4481 in sane_epson2_init (version_code=0x7fffc1848fcc,
authorize=<optimized out>) at epson2.c:893
#4  0x00007f12b6d01bb0 in init (be=be@entry=0x20d3f50) at dll.c:615
#5  0x00007f12b6d0255d in sane_dll_get_devices
(device_list=device_list@entry=0x7fffc1849108, local_only=local_only@entry=0)
    at dll.c:1056
#6  0x00007f12b6cf00a5 in sane_get_devices (dl=dl@entry=0x7fffc1849108,
local=local@entry=0) at dll-s.c:17
#7  0x0000000000401acb in main (argc=2, argv=0x7fffc184b268) at scanimage.c:1808
(gdb)
-------------

After that I have been fighting other issues with the ix500 no longer appearing
on my Fedora 18 laptop (which has two USB 3.0 ports). Not sure why ... need to
fix that before I can test again.

I'll also try on a Fedora 17 box with USB 2.0 ports. It has a surprisingly large
number (145!) of dependencies on the sane*rpm packages, so I won't be able to
clean them.

What's the best way to run this out of /opt/sane/... without interference from
existing Fedora 17 / 18 packages?

VK

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 supported?

m. allan noah-3
Honestly, I always overwrite the system sane, but I'm a sane
developer, and like my version better than anything the OS ships :) If
you want to install in another directory, you have to do some tricks
with ld or symbolic links to get programs to load them. See section
3.1 of http://www.sane-project.org/README.linux (recently updated)

forget gdb, its basically never useful with sane. Instead, use our
debugging env vars:

SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255 scanimage -L

That will show you the directories of the files it is using. Once that
is loading the new libs, then we can debug the fujitsu backend with
something similar:

SANE_DEBUG_FUJITSU=15 scanimage -L
SANE_DEBUG_FUJITSU=15 scanimage --mode=Color --resolution=300 >
foo.pnm 2>foo.log

allan

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 3:08 PM, m. allan noah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have just committed an updated version (113) of the fujitsu backend
> to our git repo. You can get a current git checkout of sane-backends,
> or you can wait until tomorrow and download one of our git snapshots:
> http://www.sane-project.org/source.html
>
> This updated provides initial support for the iX500. So far this is
> color mode only. I have not yet managed to make the thing scan in
> binary or gray.

And I have just updated to version 114, which fixes color scans with
resolutions > 300 dpi. No breakthroughs on gray or binary scans yet.

VK

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 supported?

VK

m. allan noah <kitno455 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Honestly, I always overwrite the system sane, but I'm a sane
> developer, and like my version better than anything the OS ships :) If
> you want to install in another directory, you have to do some tricks
> with ld or symbolic links to get programs to load them. See section
> 3.1 of http://www.sane-project.org/README.linux (recently updated)
>
> forget gdb, its basically never useful with sane. Instead, use our
> debugging env vars:
>
> SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255 scanimage -L
>
> That will show you the directories of the files it is using. Once that
> is loading the new libs, then we can debug the fujitsu backend with
> something similar:
>
> SANE_DEBUG_FUJITSU=15 scanimage -L
> SANE_DEBUG_FUJITSU=15 scanimage --mode=Color --resolution=300 >
> foo.pnm 2>foo.log
>
> allan

Thanks for the debugging tips. I also received a [private ?] response about this
issue being fixed in the 20130301 snapshot. Unfortunately, since that SEGV, my
scanner doesn't show up as far as the OS is concerned. Switched back to a
Windows machine that was working before, and that no longer sees it either.

Been too busy to troubleshoot further; multiple variables involved. Will have
another go over the weekend. It's annoying that this unit doesn't have a power
or reset button.

Know of any magic usb utils I could try to tickle it with?

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 12:37 AM, VK <[hidden email]> wrote:

> m. allan noah <kitno455 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Honestly, I always overwrite the system sane, but I'm a sane
>> developer, and like my version better than anything the OS ships :) If
>> you want to install in another directory, you have to do some tricks
>> with ld or symbolic links to get programs to load them. See section
>> 3.1 of http://www.sane-project.org/README.linux (recently updated)
>>
>> forget gdb, its basically never useful with sane. Instead, use our
>> debugging env vars:
>>
>> SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255 scanimage -L
>>
>> That will show you the directories of the files it is using. Once that
>> is loading the new libs, then we can debug the fujitsu backend with
>> something similar:
>>
>> SANE_DEBUG_FUJITSU=15 scanimage -L
>> SANE_DEBUG_FUJITSU=15 scanimage --mode=Color --resolution=300 >
>> foo.pnm 2>foo.log
>>
>> allan
>>

> Thanks for the debugging tips. I also received a [private ?] response about this
> issue being fixed in the 20130301 snapshot. Unfortunately, since that SEGV, my
> scanner doesn't show up as far as the OS is concerned. Switched back to a
> Windows machine that was working before, and that no longer sees it either.
>
> Been too busy to troubleshoot further; multiple variables involved. Will have
> another go over the weekend. It's annoying that this unit doesn't have a power
> or reset button.

shutting the lid turns off the scanner. If you look closely, you can
see the tab on the left side of the lid, and the rectangular button it
pushes on the scanner. You have to hold it down for a few seconds.

The machine might only show up to the root account on your system,
since the permissions are not set by the current version of sane, and
a new sane install from source does not attempt to change them.

VK

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 supported?

VK
m. allan noah <kitno455 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> shutting the lid turns off the scanner. If you look closely, you can
> see the tab on the left side of the lid, and the rectangular button it
> pushes on the scanner. You have to hold it down for a few seconds.
>
> The machine might only show up to the root account on your system,
> since the permissions are not set by the current version of sane, and
> a new sane install from source does not attempt to change them.

Unfortunately that button doesn't work. It's not clear what the LED colours mean
... in the past it has been both blue and amber (flashing and solid). It seemed
it would turn blue whenever I had USB connectivity with my Fedora machine, but I
wasn't really paying attention at the time.

Now it's just solid blue as soon as it's turned on, and stays that way, even if
the lid is closed (easy to see in a dark room through the small gap when the lid
is closed). Waited tens of minutes.

RE: root -- I didn't mention it, but yes, I tried that, as well as dmesg to
check for kernel messages; there are none. Prior to playing with sane, both the
regular user and root could see the device in lsusb output, and dmesg showed it
appearing. Now two machines I tried (Fedora 17 and 18) are silent, with both USB
2.0 and 3.0 8-(

I'll need to find some time over the weekend to tinker further, but my hopes of
success are dimming since a Windows machine originally used with it can no
longer see it either.

If there's a trick to resetting this to a factory default state, that might help.

VK

VK <list-sane-devel <at> kutty.cc> writes:

 > I'll need to find some time over the weekend to tinker further, but my hopes
 of
 > success are dimming since a Windows machine originally used with it can no
 > longer see it either.
 >
 > If there's a trick to resetting this to a factory default state, that might
 help.

Problem solved -- it was a defective unit. Exchanged for a new sample that
behaves better.

sane-find-scanner finds it.

scanimage partially works. Correctly identified lack of paper, but when I
inserted a sheet and tried again, it started feeding the sheet and stopped with
the error below:

 -----------
 # ./scanimage -p -T
 scanimage: sane_start: Document feeder out of documents
 # ./scanimage -p -T
 scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument
 #
 -----------

I tried a few different times. I'm not familiar with scanimage. The reason I
tried test mode was because my initial "scanimage -p > /tmp/test.pnm" failed
with the same error as above about sane_start. Hopefully this is not user error.

I had git snapshot 20130305 installed, so I switched to 20130310 with the same
result.

Also, is there a way to force a full feed of the sheet currently in the scanner?
When the above happens, it seems to be treated as a jam. I didn't want to
forcefully pull it out, so turning off + on the unit is the only option.

VK

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM, VK <[hidden email]> wrote:

> VK <list-sane-devel <at> kutty.cc> writes:
>
>  > I'll need to find some time over the weekend to tinker further, but my hopes
>  of
>  > success are dimming since a Windows machine originally used with it can no
>  > longer see it either.
>  >
>  > If there's a trick to resetting this to a factory default state, that might
>  help.
>  >
>

> Problem solved -- it was a defective unit. Exchanged for a new sample that
> behaves better.
>

> sane-find-scanner finds it.
>
> scanimage partially works. Correctly identified lack of paper, but when I
> inserted a sheet and tried again, it started feeding the sheet and stopped with
> the error below:
>
>  -----------
>  # ./scanimage -p -T
>  scanimage: sane_start: Document feeder out of documents
>  # ./scanimage -p -T
>  scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument
>  #
>  -----------
>
> I tried a few different times. I'm not familiar with scanimage. The reason I
> tried test mode was because my initial "scanimage -p > /tmp/test.pnm" failed
> with the same error as above about sane_start. Hopefully this is not user error.

scanimage --help will give you a list of options. The default mode is
LineArt, which does not work in the current sane version.

Try something like:

scanimage --mode color --resolution 150 > test.pnm

> Also, is there a way to force a full feed of the sheet currently in the scanner?
> When the above happens, it seems to be treated as a jam. I didn't want to
> forcefully pull it out, so turning off + on the unit is the only option.

There is a tab to lift, which opens the paper intake, above the blue button.

VK

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 supported?

VK
m. allan noah <kitno455 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Try something like:
>
> scanimage --mode color --resolution 150 > test.pnm

That works. Thanks for the quick response!

 > > Also, is there a way to force a full feed of the sheet currently in the
scanner?
 > > When the above happens, it seems to be treated as a jam. I didn't want to
 > > forcefully pull it out, so turning off + on the unit is the only option.
 >
 > There is a tab to lift, which opens the paper intake, above the blue button.
 >
 > allan

Thanks; spotted that just seconds after I sent the email. However, out of
curiosity, are there CLI tools to send basic commands to the unit?

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 supported?

Dale Amon
Have there been any further developments on the iX500 front? I bought one recently, but I notice the last discussions on this scanner are from several months ago.

What would be the current best procedure for getting it up and running with Ubuntu 13.04 Raring? Are there any packages yet?

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 supported?

m. allan noah-3
I just committed backend version 117 to our development tree. This
includes a minor fix for a continuous feed problem with the iX500. All
other 'normal' scanning features are supported. WiFi however, is not.
Also, one user has reported some odd behavior related to higher
resolution color scans. I have not been able to reproduce, but wonder
if it might be related to USB 3 ports.

This should be available from our git snapshots tomorrow night. I
could walk you thru compiling it, or maybe someone builds a package
for Ubuntu. I don't use Ubuntu, so I don't know.

allan

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 09:55:15PM -0400, m. allan noah wrote:

> I just committed backend version 117 to our development tree. This
> includes a minor fix for a continuous feed problem with the iX500. All
> other 'normal' scanning features are supported. WiFi however, is not.
> Also, one user has reported some odd behavior related to higher
> resolution color scans. I have not been able to reproduce, but wonder
> if it might be related to USB 3 ports.
>
> This should be available from our git snapshots tomorrow night. I
> could walk you thru compiling it, or maybe someone builds a package
> for Ubuntu. I don't use Ubuntu, so I don't know.

Thanks. If it means getting access to the new scanner, I will look
at doing the compile. If the diffs are not too large from the current
Ubuntu package, I might be able to unpack it, get a diff patch set,
run them against the old files to update them, and then generate
a new package with a name that will not get updated the next time
they do a bug fix... something which is absolutely certain to happen
at a worst case time.

Lets chat about this a bit. It will be the weekend before I can put
in substantial time, but I can get prepped ahead of time.

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 supported?

dfriberg23
I've been using scanimage with my Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 for a month
or so.  This has worked fine until today, when I get the following
output:

[dfriberg@localhost test]$ scanimage -b -d fujitsu --format=tiff
--resolution=300
Scanning -1 pages, incrementing by 1, numbering from 1
Scanning page 1
Scanned page 1. (scanner status = 5)
Scanning page 2
scanimage: sane_start: Document feeder out of documents
libusbx: warning [add_to_flying_list] failed to arm first timerfd (errno 9)
 libusbx: warning [libusb_close] internal signalling read failed, closing anyway
libusbx: error [do_close] Device handle closed while transfer was
still being processed, but the device is still connected as far as we know
libusbx: error [do_close] A cancellation hasn't even been scheduled on
the transfer for which the device is closing
^Cscanimage: received signal 2
scanimage: trying to stop scanner
^Cscanimage: received signal 2
scanimage: aborting
[dfriberg@localhost test]$ scanimage --version
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.24git; backend version 1.0.24

As you can see it hangs after the libusbx errors.  However, it is
producing output images.
Dave Friberg
phone: (402) 957-2480

On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 9:26 AM, David Friberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been using scanimage with my Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 for a month
> or so.  This has worked fine until today, when I get the following
> output:
>
> [dfriberg@localhost test]$ scanimage -b -d fujitsu --format=tiff
> --resolution=300
> Scanning -1 pages, incrementing by 1, numbering from 1
> Scanning page 1
> Scanned page 1. (scanner status = 5)
> Scanning page 2
> scanimage: sane_start: Document feeder out of documents
> libusbx: warning [add_to_flying_list] failed to arm first timerfd (errno 9)
>  libusbx: warning [libusb_close] internal signalling read failed, closing anyway
> libusbx: error [do_close] Device handle closed while transfer was
> still being processed, but the device is still connected as far as we know
> libusbx: error [do_close] A cancellation hasn't even been scheduled on
> the transfer for which the device is closing
> ^Cscanimage: received signal 2
> scanimage: trying to stop scanner
> ^Cscanimage: received signal 2
> scanimage: aborting
> [dfriberg@localhost test]$ scanimage --version
> scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.24git; backend version 1.0.24
>
> As you can see it hangs after the libusbx errors.  However, it is
> producing output images.

I'm sorry, I have no idea. Have their been any software updates for
your OS in that time, particularly libusb or kernel?

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 supported?

Adam Nielsen
>> scanimage: sane_start: Document feeder out of documents
>> libusbx: warning [add_to_flying_list] failed to arm first timerfd (errno 9)
>>   libusbx: warning [libusb_close] internal signalling read failed, closing anyway
>> libusbx: error [do_close] Device handle closed while transfer was
>> still being processed, but the device is still connected as far as we know
>> libusbx: error [do_close] A cancellation hasn't even been scheduled on
>> the transfer for which the device is closing
>
> I'm sorry, I have no idea. Have their been any software updates for
> your OS in that time, particularly libusb or kernel?

I just started getting the same error today, and last night I did a full
system upgrade which included a new kernel.

Sometimes scanimage segfaults instead of displaying those errors too, but
apart from having to Ctrl+C after each run, it doesn't seem to cause any other
problems.

Cheers,
Adam.

12