Quantcast

Fujitsu S1500 cut off last cm of a full A4 scan

Fujitsu S1500 cut off last cm of a full A4 scan

Torsten Wagner-2
Hi,
I have trouble with a S1500 ADF scanner from Fujitsu,
Whenever I scan a full A4 page, the last cm or so of the page is missing.
That is the part which leaves the scanner at last.

I tried all kind of different settings including playing around with the --ald feature as well as -t and -x options.
Tried xsane as well as scanimage and scanadf... all with the same result.
For testing I moved to a recent git version of sane without any effect.

All I can say, this problem does not appear under a Virtualbox running Windows session.
Thus, it might be really an problem with sane. However, the internet is very quite about this. Couldn't find a single report of a similar issue.
Might it be that I am the only metric guy trying to scan A4 pages under linux with an S1500 ?! ;)

I am using a Arch Linux based machine. Sane version is now sane-config 1.0.25 (git-build).
scanimage -L
device `fujitsu:ScanSnap S1500:104286' is a FUJITSU ScanSnap S1500 scaner

Thanks for any suggestion or help how to solve this problem for an otherwise very perfectly running scanner.

Torsten

Re: Fujitsu S1500 cut off last cm of a full A4 scan

m. allan noah-3
Did you try using the page-width and page-height options to specify
the paper size? They should be set before the rest of the t/l/x/y
options.

allan

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Torsten Wagner
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have trouble with a S1500 ADF scanner from Fujitsu,
> Whenever I scan a full A4 page, the last cm or so of the page is missing.
> That is the part which leaves the scanner at last.
>
> I tried all kind of different settings including playing around with the
> --ald feature as well as -t and -x options.
> Tried xsane as well as scanimage and scanadf... all with the same result.
> For testing I moved to a recent git version of sane without any effect.
>
> All I can say, this problem does not appear under a Virtualbox running
> Windows session.
> Thus, it might be really an problem with sane. However, the internet is very
> quite about this. Couldn't find a single report of a similar issue.
> Might it be that I am the only metric guy trying to scan A4 pages under
> linux with an S1500 ?! ;)
>
> I am using a Arch Linux based machine. Sane version is now sane-config
> 1.0.25 (git-build).
> scanimage -L
> device `fujitsu:ScanSnap S1500:104286' is a FUJITSU ScanSnap S1500 scaner
>

> Thanks for any suggestion or help how to solve this problem for an otherwise
> very perfectly running scanner.
>
> Torsten

>              to [hidden email]

Re: Fujitsu S1500 cut off last cm of a full A4 scan

Torsten Wagner-2
Dear Allan,

I just tried but it seem to have no effect. Still missing the last cm or so of every scan (trying to scan a A4 page). Trying to scan smaller pages seems to work! E.g. I folded a A4 page (making it into an A5) and scanned it in landscape without problems.

Somehow for me it looks like some parameters have no effect, resp. get overwritten e.g. the scan is set to letter size and not A4 independent of any parameter. But that is only a wild guess.

Hope that helps a bit to tackle down the problem.

Cheers

Torsten

BTW. I noticed that the scanner creates only garbage files under Linux, images are distorted and e.g. they contain a gray background instead of white. This happens, whenever I use it prior under a Windows Virtualbox. I have to turn off the scanner and turn it on again which basically fix it.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have trouble with a S1500 ADF scanner from Fujitsu,
> Whenever I scan a full A4 page, the last cm or so of the page is missing.
> That is the part which leaves the scanner at last.
>
> I tried all kind of different settings including playing around with the
> --ald feature as well as -t and -x options.
> Tried xsane as well as scanimage and scanadf... all with the same result.
> For testing I moved to a recent git version of sane without any effect.
>
> All I can say, this problem does not appear under a Virtualbox running
> Windows session.
> Thus, it might be really an problem with sane. However, the internet is very
> quite about this. Couldn't find a single report of a similar issue.
> Might it be that I am the only metric guy trying to scan A4 pages under
> linux with an S1500 ?! ;)
>
> I am using a Arch Linux based machine. Sane version is now sane-config
> 1.0.25 (git-build).
> scanimage -L
> device `fujitsu:ScanSnap S1500:104286' is a FUJITSU ScanSnap S1500 scaner
>

> Thanks for any suggestion or help how to solve this problem for an otherwise
> very perfectly running scanner.
>
> Torsten

>              to [hidden email]

Re: Fujitsu S1500 cut off last cm of a full A4 scan

Torsten Wagner-2
Dear Allan,

did you had time to look into the problem? Just want to know if I should keep this up and trying to e.g. pull the newest versions from git, or put it to my other not-yet-solved tasks keeping it on hold. ;)
Would be glad if you could tell me if this seems to be a longer bad debugging task (in which I gladly will try tohelp and try to participate) or, if it seems to be a simple one-line patch which might be simply fixed with the next release.

Thanks for your help and support

Torsten

On 7 October 2013 16:35, Torsten Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Allan,

thanks for the quick reply. Please find attached some files with the hope to debug the problem...

2013_10_07_15_55_02.pdf is a original scan from a Windows machine running in a Virtualbox. As you see it seems to be perfectly ok.

It might be interesting to mention that the USB-activity symbol under Virtualbox indicates a constant activity as soon as I virtually attach the scanner to the client. There seems some constant data exchange. Possibly this somehow leaves the scanner in a faulty state since I (virtually) unplug the scanners USB connection.

As command I used the following.
There was no obvious error message.

scanadf --page-height=279 --mode Gray --resolution 300 -y 279 -t 0 --ald=yes -vvv
I tested this with different settings as well using -x --ald=no, and other settings.
I will send you a link to the pnm in a private mail to avoid cluttering this email list.

Thanks

Torsten

On 7 October 2013 15:08, m. allan noah <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please send me the command line that you use with scanimage that
causes the files to be chopped short.

I have never heard of the distorted image problem, perhaps this
scanner needs some special initialization step. Can you send one of
the garbage images to me in a pnm file?

allan