Canoscan 9000F Mark II not working properly for transparency scans on Ubuntu 15.10 and libsane 1.0.26

Canoscan 9000F Mark II not working properly for transparency scans on Ubuntu 15.10 and libsane 1.0.26

Ronald Trask
On 11/19/2015 10:59 PM, Ronald Trask wrote:
I recently bought a Canoscan 9000 F Mark II scanner, I am running Ubuntu 15.10. using both xsane transparency/slide setting, and the command line options for scanning a transparency it appears that the cover light is not illuminating. I uninstalled libsane that was bundled with 15.10, and built / installed libsane 1.0.26 but it made no difference. I verified proper function of the transparency scan functionality with a windows lap top, so the issue is not with the hardware. I attempted to attach the results of the a scan of some slides, but the message was rejected, so  message me if you think it would be helpful to see the scanner's behavior. The left side of the scan is totally black and gets auto cropped. The right side of the scan is bright white, the actual slides are too dark to see. The xsane frontend detects that cover for the transparency window is off, and will not allow you to scan, I think a lot is working, but I am not sure where to go from here.

One thing to note is that after I removed / purged the libsane that is bundled with Ubuntu 15.10, and did a ldconfig -v | grep libsane it showed only the 1.0.26 version of libsane. However, uninstalling libsane also uninstalled xsane. When I did an apt-get install on xsane, it evidently loaded 1.0.25 because running ldconfig shows both versions installed. I really don't think that has any impact on the issue though. I have not attempted it yet, but I assume I can fix that by uninstalling xsane and libsane again and building the front end.

root>:/opt/sane/src/sane-backends# ldconfig -v | grep libsane
/sbin/ldconfig.real: Path `/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' given more than once
/sbin/ldconfig.real: Path `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' given more than once
/sbin/ldconfig.real: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ld-2.21.so is the dynamic linker, ignoring

libsane.so.1 -> libsane.so.1.0.26
libsane.so.1 -> libsane.so.1.0.25

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following the instructions I found at multiple locations, I did a git clone and built it / installed it.

git clone git://git.debian.org/sane/sane-backends.git
root>:/opt/sane/src/sane-backends# export BACKENDS="canon pixma"
root>:/opt/sane/src/sane-backends# ./configure
root>:/opt/sane/src/sane-backends# make
root>:/opt/sane/src/sane-backends# make check
Testsuite summary for sane-backends 1.0.26git
# TOTAL: 5
# PASS:  5
# SKIP:  0
# XFAIL: 0
# FAIL:  0
# XPASS: 0
# ERROR: 0
================
All tests passed
================

root>:/opt/sane/src/sane-backends# make install

nothing looked unusual except
NOT overwriting canon.conf in /usr/local/etc/sane.d...
NOT overwriting pixma.conf in /usr/local/etc/sane.d...
NOT overwriting saned.conf in /usr/local/etc/sane.d...
NOT overwriting dll.conf in /usr/local/etc/sane.d...

root>:/opt/sane/src/sane-backends# ldconfig -v | grep libsane
/sbin/ldconfig.real: Path `/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' given more than once
/sbin/ldconfig.real: Path `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' given more than once
/sbin/ldconfig.real: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ld-2.21.so is the dynamic linker, ignoring

libsane.so.1 -> libsane.so.1.0.26
libsane.so.1 -> libsane.so.1.0.25

Which I assume is the problem may be a problem ...

A lot seems to work.
scanimage -V
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.26git; backend version 1.0.26

scanimage --list-devices
device `pixma:04A9190D' is a CANON Canoscan 9000F Mark II multi-function peripheral

Re: Canoscan 9000F Mark II not working properly for transparency scans on Ubuntu 15.10 and libsane 1.0.26

Rolf Bensch-2
Hi Ronald,

Sorry for my late response.

Please compare your installation procedure with the description in README.linux.

Please sniff the USB protocols of a transparency scan with your Windows laptop. Usually I'm using Wireshark with USBPcap (https://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/USB) for this job. You can use any other USB sniffer for this.

I'm sorry, but I cannot supply any support for the Pixma backend until my Chistmas holidays.

Cheers,
Rolf