Canon MF212w Scanner and SANE

Scott-2
Hello,

I'm a Linux Mint user and so is my father.  We're trying to set up an
all-in-one printer I bought today and have had good luck setting up on
the printer side, but not the scanner side.  I hoped SANE would do the
trick but the MF210 series for Canon isn't yet verified as working so
SANE isn't picking it up.  Allan directed me to the list, so I'm hoping
someone here can help.

I should note that I only have about a month before I have to return the
equipment if I can't get a resolution.

Anyone available and interested to help test this out and expand SANE's
reach?

Thanks,
Scott W

Re: Canon MF212w Scanner and SANE

Olaf Meeuwissen-4
Hi Scott,

Scott writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a Linux Mint user and so is my father.  We're trying to set up an
> all-in-one printer I bought today and have had good luck setting up on
> the printer side, but not the scanner side.  I hoped SANE would do the
> trick but the MF210 series for Canon isn't yet verified as working so
> SANE isn't picking it up.  Allan directed me to the list, so I'm hoping
> someone here can help.
>
> I should note that I only have about a month before I have to return the
> equipment if I can't get a resolution.
>
> Anyone available and interested to help test this out and expand SANE's
> reach?

Have you tried sane-backends-1.0.25.  That versions claims that support
for the MF210 Series was added to the pixma backend.

Seeing that you are using Linux Mint, I *guess* that you get your SANE
backends via the Ubuntu package archives.  The version in Ubuntu's wily
(1.0.25+git20150528) appears to be new enough.
# The Changelog mention the addition on 2015-04-03.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2            FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27
Support Free Software               Support the Free Software Foundation