Canon LiDE 220

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Canon LiDE 220

Andreas Schneider
Hello,

I just bought a Canon LiDE 220 not fully realizing, that it is so new,
that SANE currently doesn't support it.

What would (most likely) be needed, to add support? Is there any
information I can provide?

Thanks and best regards,
Andreas

--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Canon LiDE 220

stef-22
On 20/09/2014 19:57, Andreas Schneider wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just bought a Canon LiDE 220 not fully realizing, that it is so new,
> that SANE currently doesn't support it.
>
> What would (most likely) be needed, to add support? Is there any
> information I can provide?
>
> Thanks and best regards,
> Andreas
>
     Hello,

     what does 'sane-find-scanner' reports ? You could also send data
form lsusb.

Regards,
     Stef

--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Canon LiDE 220

Alex-2
In reply to this post by Andreas Schneider

Hi Stef,

i have bought the same scanner (lide 220) by mistake, have now ordered the
20 because i need a working one quick, however i"m going to keep the
lide 220 as well, so i can help to get it working.

it seems to have the GL848 chip..

> what does 'sane-find-scanner' reports ? You could also send data form
> lsusb.

sane-find-scanner reports:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x190f [CanoScan],
chip=GL848+) at libusb:001:008


and lsusb says:

Bus 001 Device 008: ID 04a9:190f Canon, Inc.


greetings,
Alex

--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Canon LiDE 220

Andreas Schneider
In reply to this post by stef-22
On 21.09.2014 21:28, Stef wrote:
what does 'sane-find-scanner' reports ? You could also send data form lsusb.
Apart from what Alex already wrote (Chip GL848+), I tried a naive approach of duplicating the Genesys_Model canon_lide_200_model and registering it according to the device ID. It was just a stab in the dark, since the 200 used the same chip (apparently). Unfortunately, some control sequences must have changed, because:

> scanimage
scanimage: open of device genesys:libusb:001:004 failed: Error during device I/O


(I don't have a full development environment for SANE; I just changed the source, rebuilt the package and installed it. Full debugging is therefore not easily possible for me.)

Is there an easy way to capture device IO on Windows? (... where the scanner works)
That way I could give you a dump of the traffic that you can look at (I guess you have a practiced eye for the control data :-))

Best regards,
Andreas
--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Canon LiDE 220

stef-22
In reply to this post by Alex-2
On 22/09/2014 15:51, Alex wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> i have bought the same scanner (lide 220) by mistake, have now ordered the
> 20 because i need a working one quick, however i"m going to keep the
> lide 220 as well, so i can help to get it working.
>
> it seems to have the GL848 chip..
>
>> what does 'sane-find-scanner' reports ? You could also send data form
>> lsusb.
> sane-find-scanner reports:
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x190f [CanoScan],
> chip=GL848+) at libusb:001:008
>
>
> and lsusb says:
>
> Bus 001 Device 008: ID 04a9:190f Canon, Inc.
>
>
> greetings,
> Alex
>
     Hello,

     was 'sane-find-scanner' from SANE 1.0.23 ? Detection has been
improved since. Could you send the output
of lsusb -v -d 04a9:190f ?

Regards,
     Stef


--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Canon LiDE 220

stef-22
In reply to this post by Andreas Schneider
On 22/09/2014 19:35, Andreas Schneider wrote:
On 21.09.2014 21:28, Stef wrote:
what does 'sane-find-scanner' reports ? You could also send data form lsusb.
Apart from what Alex already wrote (Chip GL848+), I tried a naive approach of duplicating the Genesys_Model canon_lide_200_model and registering it according to the device ID. It was just a stab in the dark, since the 200 used the same chip (apparently). Unfortunately, some control sequences must have changed, because:

> scanimage
scanimage: open of device genesys:libusb:001:004 failed: Error during device I/O


(I don't have a full development environment for SANE; I just changed the source, rebuilt the package and installed it. Full debugging is therefore not easily possible for me.)

Is there an easy way to capture device IO on Windows? (... where the scanner works)
That way I could give you a dump of the traffic that you can look at (I guess you have a practiced eye for the control data :-))

Best regards,
Andreas
    Hello,

    you can try wireshark and export USB dump to text. I'll try to do something of it. On Windows XP i used usbsnoop for USB recording.

Regards,
    Stef



--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Is a release date for sane-backends 1.0.25 planned?

Paul Newall
I'm not sure if we generally release once a year? but it's about a year
since the last release.

--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

specifying the right destination for the sane library

Paul Newall
In reply to this post by stef-22
I have have had trouble identifying where to install sane myself from
time to time, and people often seem to get into difficulty when they get
several different installed versions.
Ubuntu seem to have changed the location used for sane at least once in
the past few years, and now it looks as if the 64 bit version maybe
installed in a different place to the 32 bit version?

Is there something we could do to help people specify the right
location, perhaps configure could warn if libdir is not the same
location as any existing installation?

Paul Newall

--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Canon LiDE 220

Alex-2
In reply to this post by stef-22
On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 09:15:30PM +0200, Stef wrote:
> Hello,

re,

> was 'sane-find-scanner' from SANE 1.0.23 ? Detection has been improved since.

1.0.24 actually.. (was the same output on arch and debian)

> Could you send the output
> of lsusb -v -d 04a9:190f ?
>
> Regards,
>     Stef

..sure:

$ lsusb -v -d 04a9:190f

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04a9:190f Canon, Inc.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
  bDeviceSubClass       255 Vendor Specific Subclass
  bDeviceProtocol       255 Vendor Specific Protocol
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x04a9 Canon, Inc.
  idProduct          0x190f
  bcdDevice            7.04
  iManufacturer           1
  iProduct                2
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           39
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xa0
      (Bus Powered)
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower              500mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           3
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0001  1x 1 bytes
        bInterval               8

--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Canon LiDE 220

stef-22
On 23/09/2014 02:58, Alex wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 09:15:30PM +0200, Stef wrote:
>> Hello,
> re,
>
>> was 'sane-find-scanner' from SANE 1.0.23 ? Detection has been improved since.
> 1.0.24 actually.. (was the same output on arch and debian)
>
>> Could you send the output
>> of lsusb -v -d 04a9:190f ?
>>
>> Regards,
>>      Stef
........
>>    bcdDevice            7.04
.........

     Hello,

     it is a new genesys chip revision. Not datasheet known for this
one. This work would be complicated.

Regards,
     Stef

--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Canon LiDE 220

Michael McAndrew
Hey there,

I've just caught up on the 'Canon LiDE 220' about that scanner not yet
being supported.

Stef said:

 > it is a new genesys chip revision. Not datasheet known for this one.
This work would be complicated.

I'm not familiar with sane development so am wondering if you can expand
on that a little? It would be great to know if it is just a case of
hanging on to the scanner until the chip revision is supported, or if
there is a blocker that means it will remain unsupported for the
foreseeable future.

Is there an estimate you could give for when it might get supported?

I am one of those stupid people that buys hardware before checking
driver availability, so as the owner of an LiDE 220, I'd be happy to
help in any way I can.

Thanks,
Michael


--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Canon LiDE 220

grepnoid
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
The thing is, it IS listed in the supported devices list!  That's why I bought it.

sane-find-scanner gives its chip as GL848+ though the list says it's a GL124+.
There is no source file gl848.c as there are for GL124, GL647 etc.

I have a feeling that Canon have a history of breaking compatibility while keeping the
same USB product ID.

I have exactly the same result as previous posters.  Identical lsusb -v except for the
additional line 'Couldn't open device, some information will be missing'. Is that likely
to be a real problem?

Is there any mileage in faking the device to appear to be a LiDE 200 using the GL847?
That could give at least partial compatibility?  If so, suggestions gratefully received on
anything to change apart from the array entry in genesys_usb_device_list.

Thanks in advance.  Who should I contact to get the supported deviced updated, if the
problem is as it appears?


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Canon LiDE 220

grepnoid
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
This post was updated on .
Just to add, faking the 220's USB ID to map to the 200 doesn't help. Same result as before.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Canon LiDE 220

viruxx
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
hi here, if you want, i can write you a little java program
like i made with my ricoh aficio unsupported scanner

just need the usblyser report of scans in differents modes

color 100 dpi
grayscale 100 dpi

color 300 dpi
grayscale 300 dpi

maybe one with 600

i just need the start and the end of report
bye
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Canon LiDE 220

grepnoid
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
Thank you for that.  I did get it to work under Linux using xsane and genesys driver.  Details of how to do it are here
http://gsusmonzon.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/canon-lide-220-in-ubuntu-1404.html
My comment explains that I was using an old Ubuntu with a probably-too-old genesys driver.  A compile from source of version 1.0.26git worked.  Some have success under Ubuntu using a PPA, details here
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2258489

In short, it's likely that most recent distro versions use a new enough driver version that it works out of the box.  Thanks for the offer of help, maybe someone can confirm that is it definitely supported with recent genesys drivers.