Canon ImageFormula P-208

Franck LANTZ
HI, I'm very interested about this scanner. http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/office/imageformula_scanners/imageformula_p_208/imageformula_p_208_scan_tini_personal_document_scanner

Can you tell me if this device is supported by sane.

It's a new product and i don't found it in the supported list.

Thank you.

Re: Canon ImageFormula P-208

m. allan noah-3
If it is not in the sane supported list, you should assume it is not
supported. This is particularly true of new scanners, as sane
developers generally require access to a scanner for some time before
it is supported.

allan

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Franck LANTZ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HI, I'm very interested about this scanner.
> http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/office/imageformula_scanners/imageformula_p_208/imageformula_p_208_scan_tini_personal_document_scanner
>
> Can you tell me if this device is supported by sane.
>
> It's a new product and i don't found it in the supported list.
>
> Thank you.

>              to [hidden email]

Re: Canon ImageFormula P-208

Franck LANTZ
Just for information.

I just found this on the (incredibily huge) canon website.

they made linux driver for another imageformula (p-150). This model is a bit more expensive but it's encouraging for the future.

2013/5/22 m. allan noah <[hidden email]>
If it is not in the sane supported list, you should assume it is not
supported. This is particularly true of new scanners, as sane
developers generally require access to a scanner for some time before
it is supported.

allan

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Franck LANTZ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> HI, I'm very interested about this scanner.
> http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/office/imageformula_scanners/imageformula_p_208/imageformula_p_208_scan_tini_personal_document_scanner
>
> Can you tell me if this device is supported by sane.
>
> It's a new product and i don't found it in the supported list.
>
> Thank you.

>              to [hidden email]

Re: Canon ImageFormula P-208

Mr. P
Hej Franck,

I've already opened a request-ticket for that scanner here.

Whoever: If someone is interested to implement this scanner into sane, I would buy it and give full ssh access to the machine where it is attached (just as long as it takes). :-)

I would really appreciate it if someone would take up the challenge.

Thx a lot!

Greetz,
    Mr. P

Re: Canon ImageFormula P-208

m. allan noah-3
On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Mr. P <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hej Franck,
>
> I've already opened a request-ticket for that scanner  here
> <https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=314260&group_id=30186&atid=410366>
> .
>
> Whoever: If someone is interested to implement this scanner into sane, I
> would buy it and give full ssh access to the machine where it is attached
> (just as long as it takes). :-)
>
> I would really appreciate it if someone would take up the challenge.

If someone has one of these scanners, please take a trace of the
windows driver making a small, low resolution scan with sniffusb
(http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/) or wireshark. Then we can
determine if it is similar to other canon_dr machines, or is yet some
other protocol.

Re: Canon ImageFormula P-208

Mr. P
This post was updated on .
I've just ordered the two scanners (Canon P-208 & P-215) and will perform appropriate tests with the devices. They should arrive latest by Wednesday.

@allan Where should I put the result files?

Greetz,
   Mr. P

Re: Canon ImageFormula P-208

Simon Martin
Hi,

I'm currently looking at this. The P-150 driver off of the Canon website works OK for the main sheet feeder as long as you set the Auto switch to off, however there are a few things that don't work:

1.- The front card reader slot,

2.- Simultaneous anverse and reverse scanning.

I am trying to fix this, however I can't find any decent documentation on the sane backend which is making life difficult. Is there any documentation for this or is it just code browsing?

Regards.

Re: Canon ImageFormula P-208

m. allan noah-3
Are you saying the P-208 works with the P-150 driver from canon?
Unfortunately, we are not the authors of that driver, so cannot help
much. However, development of the sane canon_dr driver is currently
underway. I hope to have support for the P-208 and P-215 soon.

allan

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Simon Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently looking at this. The P-150 driver off of the Canon website
> works OK for the main sheet feeder as long as you set the Auto switch to
> off, however there are a few things that don't work:
>
> 1.- The front card reader slot,
>
> 2.- Simultaneous anverse and reverse scanning.
>
> I am trying to fix this, however I can't find any decent documentation on
> the sane backend which is making life difficult. Is there any documentation
> for this or is it just code browsing?
>
> Regards.

>              to [hidden email]

Re: Canon ImageFormula P-208

Simon Martin
Hi Allan,

Sorry I should have been clearer. I am testing on a P-215.

Any idea how soon "soon" is? If you need any help I would love to be of assistance. I'm new to sane, but I've been working in C/C++ for the last 28 years, and have been working on Linux for the last 15.

Regards.

Re: Canon ImageFormula P-208

m. allan noah-3
Gerhard Pfeffer and I are working on this as we speak. Sometimes we
hit roadblocks, but I think a week or two and we should have it
working.

allan

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Simon Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Allan,
>
> Sorry I should have been clearer. I am testing on a P-215.
>
> Any idea how soon "soon" is? If you need any help I would love to be of
> assistance. I'm new to sane, but I've been working in C/C++ for the last 28
> years, and have been working on Linux for the last 15.
>
> Regards.

>              to [hidden email]

Re: Canon ImageFormula P-208

Simon Martin
Hi Allan,

Any news on this?

TIA.

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Canon ImageFormula P-208

m. allan noah-3
We are getting scans from both the P-215 and the P-208, but they are
uncalibrated, so the colors are not quite right. These two scanners
seem to use a different calibration format from other machines, so it
will take some time to reverse engineer that.

allan

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Simon Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Allan,
>
> Any news on this?
>
> TIA.

Re: Canon ImageFormula P-208

Simon Martin
Fantastic news. Thanks.

Are you getting scans from the sheet feeder and the small document scanner as well? If so, can I have a version to test (knowing that the colours are not quite right) as I need to integrate this.

Regards.

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Canon ImageFormula P-208

Simon Martin
Hi Allan,

I just got sane-backends from the git repository and I couldn't find the P-150 code. Has this been committed?

Regards.