CanoScan 5600F Genesys backend

Raúl Vidal
Hello,
I have this scanner and there's no support for it. I've read some movements on the sane-devel mailing list but work has not advanced much. If you need any help I could give some to you. I don't know how SANE does work, and I have zero experience on writing drivers for the Linux kernel, but if you need debug info or test software I think I could do it if you give me some directions, and if doing so does not break the scanner.

I want to totally erase Windows from as many machines as possible, and having scanner support on GNU/Linux is a great step towards it.

Thank you.

--
Si necesitas enviarme información como pueda ser un documento de texto, hoja de cálculo u otros, utiliza el formato OpenDocument, estándar ISO/IEC 26300:2006. PDF también puede ser válido para archivos no editables, pero no debe contener ningún objeto binario y/o propietario empotrado.
http://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: CanoScan 5600F Genesys backend

Raúl Vidal
I just made a capture with SniffUSB of the replugging of the device and the scan of a little square in the middle of the plate with Canon's software. After the sensor went back to its original position and stopped moving I closed the log and saved it. It's about 50 MB long. Here you have it: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6802765/replug-and-scan.log

As I have no Windows XP installed I had to use a virtual machine with a spare license I had in order to be able to use SniffUSB. It's curious that even I wasn't doing nothing with the scanner the log size kept increasing. I don't know if that's due to being on a virtual machine or if there's some kind of continous polling (there are big chunks of data full of zeros sent to the scanner). I haven't examined the log thoroughly, and I should refresh my USB knowledge to understand it completely. But in the raw information I could appreciate some simple patterns.

Hope this helps someone.

--
Si necesitas enviarme información como pueda ser un documento de texto, hoja de cálculo u otros, utiliza el formato OpenDocument, estándar ISO/IEC 26300:2006. PDF también puede ser válido para archivos no editables, pero no debe contener ningún objeto binario y/o propietario empotrado.
http://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: CanoScan 5600F Genesys backend

Raúl Vidal
If you do not want to download or read directly on your browser a 50 MB text file, please download the compressed text, better for you: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6802765/replug-and-scan.tar.gz

Sorry for the double posting.

On 19 February 2012 14:00, Raúl Vidal wrote:
[...]

stef-22
Le dimanche 19 février 2012 14:21:23 Raúl Vidal a écrit :

> If you do not want to download or read directly on your browser a 50 MB
> text file, please download the compressed text, better for you:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6802765/replug-and-scan.tar.gz
>
> Sorry for the double posting.
>
> On 19 February 2012 14:00, Raúl Vidal wrote:
> > I just made a capture with SniffUSB of the replugging of the device and
> > the scan of a little square in the middle of the plate with Canon's
> > software. After the sensor went back to its original position and
> > stopped
> > moving I closed the log and saved it. It's about 50 MB long. Here you
> > have it: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6802765/replug-and-scan.log
> >
> > As I have no Windows XP installed I had to use a virtual machine with a
> > spare license I had in order to be able to use SniffUSB. It's curious
> > that even I wasn't doing nothing with the scanner the log size kept
> > increasing. I don't know if that's due to being on a virtual machine or
> > if there's some kind of continous polling (there are big chunks of data
> > full of zeros sent to the scanner). I haven't examined the log
> > thoroughly, and I should refresh my USB knowledge to understand it
> > completely. But in the raw information I could appreciate some simple
> > patterns.
> >
> > Hope this helps someone.

        Hello,

        thanks for these data. I have saved this log along with a few others. I
am currently working (slowly) getting full support for G4050 transparency
adaptor support. When finished, I may look into adding 700F and 5600F to the
gl847 scanners. But working without a test device is really difficult and
slow. So it would be great if someone with such a scanner could step in.

Regards,
        Stef

Re: CanoScan 5600F Genesys backend

nico-81
Hello Stef,

Can I perhaps help? I have a laptop with Windows XP on it and a 5600F
CanoScan scanner. Would a capture with SniffUSB help the work on the
driver along? Or please let me know if I can help in some other way, for
example with test driving the driver.

Best,
Nic

Le lundi 20 février 2012 12:05:19 Raúl Vidal a écrit :
> Is there any site where I can obtain current work done on this scanner and
> some documentation? I searched a bit but I only found some mail threads
> related  to the topic. Any directions?
>
> Thank you.

        Hello,

        at https://alioth.debian.org/scm/?group_id=30186 you'll find information
on how to get the sources. The files you'll have to look into are the
genesys*[ch] ones, with genesys_gl847.[ch] directly related to your model.
        The genesys_gl841.[ch] may serve as an example on how to handle both
CIS/CCD sensors. Currently only CIS sensors are supported for gl847 based
scanners. The mail threads you found also give a glimpse of the work to be
done.
        I'll be glad to answer ant further questions is you start workin on this
scanner.

Regards,
        Stef