[AWARE] -Wall warning count down by 50%

Olaf Meeuwissen-4
Hi devs,

A month ago I asked[1] about what warning options to keep besides -Wall
and -Wextra (formerly known as -W).  I didn't get any feedback so I just
went ahead and pushed a pile of commits yesterday.

The first[2] changes compiler warning policy:

  -Wall      always enabled when using gcc
  -Wextra    enabled by default during the development cycle, disabled
             by default for releases.  The --enable-warnings option can
             be used the change the default behaviour.
  -pedantic  same as -Wextra

No other warnings than the above are enabled.  Speak up if you want to
see other warnings added.

# BTW, I am not sure I want to keep -pedantic.  Suggestions welcome.

The following forty some commits fix half of the -Wall warnings I see on
two Debian GNU/Linux 8.2 build setups[3].  I've split the fixes so that
you should be able to find those that affect the parts of the code you
care about fairly easily from the one-line commit summaries.

I think I can half the count of the remaining -Wall warnings this year.
The rest may need some discussion with backend maintainers.  Feel free
to start fixing -Wextra warnings!  I'll still have to get the autotool
reform into shape too ;-)

 [1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2015-November/034145.html
 [2] http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/sane/sane-backends.git/commit/?id=0d7882e34b5f5625261258a3a341a58a04beb304
 [3] https://gitlab.com/sane-project/ci-envs

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2            FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27
Support Free Software               Support the Free Software Foundation

Re: [AWARE] -Wall warning count down by 50%

Volker Diels-Grabsch
Hi Olaf,

That's great news!  Did you also have a look at the patches I supplied
some time ago?

Regards,
Volker

--