A3 flatbed scanners

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A3 flatbed scanners

Dale Amon
I have been perusing the various offerings in the A3 flatbed scanner niche as a replacement for my painfully slow Mustek A3 1200Pro, which does not even scan the entire 12x17 area, making it actually pretty useless for some things.

I can hardly imagine a more experience crew than here on the topic of what A3 flatbeds are fast, reliable, give nice sharp images and most importantly are well supported. I have looked at entries in the db but before I plop down hard cash I'd like advice from people who have already used them.

I am doing archive scanning for the National Space Society and have lots of odd sized and sometimes non-bendable things, so I have to use a flatbed for those items... I am using the marvelous Fujitsu ScanSnap for pretty much anything bendably letter sized.

I was a bit interested in the Plustek OpticPro A320, but it does not seem to be supported yet. I'm a bit fed up with Mustek's recent offerings and the fact they do not support their older ones on 64b linux... I have to run my Mustek off a 32b virtual machine with an ancient copy of sane because they do not give you the ability to recompile the driver to run on anything new. A few years ago I spent a good bit of money on an HP model whose page feeder never worked right... every time you told it to scan it went through several pages from the feeder. It became an expensive door stop.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A3 flatbed scanners

m. allan noah-3
You did not say how much you are willing to spend, but cheap A3
machines with real SANE support (not some binary garbage) are not very
common. I would be inclined to look for used Fujitsu. Mike Wirth was
offering an fi-4750 just a couple weeks ago.  Even better, there are a
number of used fi-5750C units on ebay.

allan

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Dale Amon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been perusing the various offerings in the A3 flatbed scanner niche as
> a replacement for my painfully slow Mustek A3 1200Pro, which does not even
> scan the entire 12x17 area, making it actually pretty useless for some
> things.
>
> I can hardly imagine a more experience crew than here on the topic of what
> A3 flatbeds are fast, reliable, give nice sharp images and most importantly
> are well supported. I have looked at entries in the db but before I plop
> down hard cash I'd like advice from people who have already used them.
>
> I am doing archive scanning for the National Space Society and have lots of
> odd sized and sometimes non-bendable things, so I have to use a flatbed for
> those items... I am using the marvelous Fujitsu ScanSnap for pretty much
> anything bendably letter sized.
>
> I was a bit interested in the Plustek OpticPro A320, but it does not seem to
> be supported yet. I'm a bit fed up with Mustek's recent offerings and the
> fact they do not support their older ones on 64b linux... I have to run my
> Mustek off a 32b virtual machine with an ancient copy of sane because they
> do not give you the ability to recompile the driver to run on anything new.
> A few years ago I spent a good bit of money on an HP model whose page feeder
> never worked right... every time you told it to scan it went through several
> pages from the feeder. It became an expensive door stop.
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://sane.10972.n7.nabble.com/A3-flatbed-scanners-tp17929.html
> Sent from the SANE - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> --
> sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
> Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
>              to [hidden email]



--
"The truth is an offense, but not a sin"

--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A3 flatbed scanners

Dale Amon
On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 08:41:58PM -0400, m. allan noah wrote:
> You did not say how much you are willing to spend, but cheap A3
> machines with real SANE support (not some binary garbage) are not very
> common. I would be inclined to look for used Fujitsu. Mike Wirth was
> offering an fi-4750 just a couple weeks ago.  Even better, there are a
> number of used fi-5750C units on ebay.

The answer is 'under $600', and the further the better.

The eBay items you mention seem to fall inside that range and the
scanner does look nice. Only down side is that I was hoping for 12x17
to cover the size of some common (for me) items.


--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A3 flatbed scanners

Dale Amon
On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 08:12:23PM -0700, Dale Amon wrote:
> scanner does look nice. Only down side is that I was hoping for 12x17
> to cover the size of some common (for me) items.

Ah, not a problem. Someone on eBay rounded down. It is 11.7x17 which
is just right.

Thanks for the pointer.

--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A3 flatbed scanners

David N Melik
In reply to this post by Dale Amon
On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 20:12:23 -0700
Dale Amon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 08:41:58PM -0400, m. allan noah wrote:
> > You did not say how much you are willing to spend, but cheap A3
> > machines with real SANE support (not some binary garbage) are not
> > very common. I would be inclined to look for used Fujitsu. Mike
> > Wirth was offering an fi-4750 just a couple weeks ago.  Even
> > better, there are a number of used fi-5750C units on ebay.
>
> The answer is 'under $600', and the further the better.
>
> The eBay items you mention seem to fall inside that range and the
> scanner does look nice. Only down side is that I was hoping for 12x17
> to cover the size of some common (for me) items.

In the mid - late 2000s, I got a SCSI-2 Umax PowerLook 2100XL, which
scans A3, for $400, and family members got one maybe even cheaper after
me. It worked on my PC at the time, but not my new one, and just do not
count on getting help for that here--I made my first post here about
a 2100XL, a week ago, and received no reply.

If you get one, you will need a SCSI-2 card, which may only be
available as used PCI hardware, so make sure your computer has an
available plain PCI (not PCIe) slot. There are also SCSI-to-USB
connectors, but when USB 2 was out, those were called slow, and now,
with USB3, my local computer shop said they do not have those (though
maybe they could special order).



--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A3 flatbed scanners

Mike Wirth
In reply to this post by Dale Amon
Dale,

Re scanning odd-sized objects, do you need to scan non-flat items, e.g., non-document objects that don't lie perfectly flat?  I don't know if anybody tests depth-of-field or uniformity of illumination for objects not directly on the flatbed.  Would be interesting to hear anecdotal evidence.

In my case with a Fujitsu fi-4750c, the (folded) optical path is relatively long, imaging a scan line up to 11" long onto a line image sensor about 2" long, so there's some hope that there's some useful depth of field.  Guess I could do some resolution target testing at various above-the-bed distances.

Mike

PS: Re my earlier offer for a "free" fi-4750, that was FOB San Diego, the point of surplus sale.  I ended up having to pay quite a bit more to have it picked up, packed and shipped to my location (SF Bay Area), so the offer has been rescinded.   To add insult to injury, the Fujitsu maintenance kit that accompanied it (my real target) was for an incompatible model.  Guess I'll have to sell it on eBay and buy the right one :-)  May either use the scanner for spare parts or sell to recover my costs.

PPS: Am currently trying to debug the SANE backend for this scanner.  Flatbed scanning works, but ADF scanning doesn't (even though it does work under Windows XP with the standard Fujitsu drivers).  Many thanks to M. Allan Noah, list maven, for extensive efforts to resolve this problem (our offline message thread is up to 56 entries :-)  Ball is currently in my court -- need to run another set of diagnostics.


On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Dale Amon <[hidden email]> wrote:
...
 
I am doing archive scanning for the National Space Society and have lots of
odd sized and sometimes non-bendable things, so I have to use a flatbed for
those items...


--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

query regarding static code analyzer related fixes

Bureau
Hi,

During our last project,we had to test our backend code with Prevent static code analyzer. Though I am not sure if I can use the errors reported here,but would like to know I can proceed with fixing the bugs reported for other vendor backends.
If other backend code change is not a good thing,then I would at least like to fix the ones reported for libsane library.

Btw.there are around 1760 errors emitted by the tool some of which are related to thirdparty libraries too but many are related to 1.23 base code.

Also, I think it will be a huge task to fix all those errors especially if the changes required are not trivial like NULL pointer check etc.
Moreover,the git version may not be the same as 1.23 version one anymore.

How do you suggest I proceed? I would like to do it but with no specific deadline.haha

One more thing:i may have to confirm if I am allowed to use the Prevent tool output as my base here...but I think that shoul be okay....hmmmmm...I guess one cycle test costs the company thousands of dollars I believe...hmmm

Thanks,
Viresh
--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: query regarding static code analyzer related fixes

Bob Gustafson
You can get notification for a lot of code warning situations by using
the latest compiler and turn up the warning level. I would guess that
you would see 95% of what you are seeing with Prevent.

Bob G

On 11/07/2013 08:32 AM, Viresh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> During our last project,we had to test our backend code with Prevent static code analyzer. Though I am not sure if I can use the errors reported here,but would like to know I can proceed with fixing the bugs reported for other vendor backends.
> If other backend code change is not a good thing,then I would at least like to fix the ones reported for libsane library.
>
> Btw.there are around 1760 errors emitted by the tool some of which are related to thirdparty libraries too but many are related to 1.23 base code.
>
> Also, I think it will be a huge task to fix all those errors especially if the changes required are not trivial like NULL pointer check etc.
> Moreover,the git version may not be the same as 1.23 version one anymore.
>
> How do you suggest I proceed? I would like to do it but with no specific deadline.haha
>
> One more thing:i may have to confirm if I am allowed to use the Prevent tool output as my base here...but I think that shoul be okay....hmmmmm...I guess one cycle test costs the company thousands of dollars I believe...hmmm
>
> Thanks,
> Viresh


--
sane-devel mailing list: [hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel
Unsubscribe: Send mail with subject "unsubscribe your_password"
             to [hidden email]