1.0.25 doesn't work with HP ScanJet 5300C

1.0.25 doesn't work with HP ScanJet 5300C

Henrique Martins
On Fedora 23, 1.0.25.1 fails with my HP ScanJet 5300C.
Downgrading to 1.0.24.14 and everything works.

Latest finds scanner with sane-find-scanner.
Scanimage -L finds the scanner (at least for root)
Xsane hangs with device I/O error.

Looks like there are two other threads with 1.0.25 not
finding an Espon 10000xl and an AGFA Snapscan 1212U_2.  Is
this a common problem?

-- Henrique

scanner works over localhost but not remotely

Henrique Martins
HP ScanJet 5300C locally configured over avision and net
backend, with 1.0.24, on Fedora 23.

On the machine where the scanner is connected to, everything
works over the usb/avision backend.

On the same machine, if as root I start "saned -d",
everything works over the net backend.

On another machine on the same (home) network, and again
with "sane -d" started as root, the preview scan from xsane
goes half way and stops, xsane hangs, and I need to kill it,
as well as saned on the other machine.

What could be the difference?  Timing?

-- Henrique

Re: 1.0.25 doesn't work with HP ScanJet 5300C

m. allan noah-3
Well, we certainly have had a number of USB problems caused by the
Linux kernel xhci driver. It is possible that some scanners do not
like our workarounds, particularly older ones. Are you able to compile
sane-backends from source? That would help us troubleshoot the cause.

allan

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 12:58 PM, Henrique Martins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fedora 23, 1.0.25.1 fails with my HP ScanJet 5300C.
> Downgrading to 1.0.24.14 and everything works.
>
> Latest finds scanner with sane-find-scanner.
> Scanimage -L finds the scanner (at least for root)
> Xsane hangs with device I/O error.
>
> Looks like there are two other threads with 1.0.25 not
> finding an Espon 10000xl and an AGFA Snapscan 1212U_2.  Is
> this a common problem?
>
> -- Henrique

>              to [hidden email]

of my hand"

Re: 1.0.25 doesn't work with HP ScanJet 5300C

Henrique Martins
> Are you able to compile sane-backends from source?

If I can find the time, I should be able to. (Though I will
need to brush up on git, specially on how to rollbacks the
commits mentioned on the Agfa thread).

Assuming I start here
  https://alioth.debian.org/scm/?group_id=30186

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 9:33 PM, Henrique Martins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Are you able to compile sane-backends from source?
>
> If I can find the time, I should be able to. (Though I will
> need to brush up on git, specially on how to rollbacks the
> commits mentioned on the Agfa thread).
>
> Assuming I start here
>   https://alioth.debian.org/scm/?group_id=30186

No, start here: http://www.sane-project.org/cvs.html

in particular, you want something like:

git clone git://git.debian.org/sane/sane-backends.git

then see README.linux

of my hand"

Re: 1.0.25 doesn't work with HP ScanJet 5300C

Olaf Meeuwissen-4
Hi Henrique,

m. allan noah writes:

> On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 9:33 PM, Henrique Martins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Are you able to compile sane-backends from source?
>>
>> If I can find the time, I should be able to. (Though I will
>> need to brush up on git, specially on how to rollbacks the
>> commits mentioned on the Agfa thread).

Have a look at

  git help revert

Normally, to undo the changes committed in, say, commit 123456...., you
would just say

  git revert 123456

though (and pray there are no conflicts).

>> Assuming I start here
>>   https://alioth.debian.org/scm/?group_id=30186
>>

> No, start here: http://www.sane-project.org/cvs.html
>
> in particular, you want something like:
>
> git clone git://git.debian.org/sane/sane-backends.git
>
> then see README.linux

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2            FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27
Support Free Software               Support the Free Software Foundation

Re: 1.0.25 doesn't work with HP ScanJet 5300C

DaveDixon
Is this still a known problem? I'm seeing it with 1.0.25 on Fedora 25. The 5300C works fine under Ubuntu 14.04 with 1.0.23. I'm going to try reverting to 1.0.24 on Fedora unless someone tells me it's crazy (which, by definition, it is, right?)

Re: 1.0.25 doesn't work with HP ScanJet 5300C

DaveDixon
I compiled tag RELEASE_1_0_24. A slight change in the outcome:

Before (1.0.25)
----------------------
sane-find-scanner finds scanner at correct USB port
scanimage -L finds scanner with correct driver (avision) at correct USB port
xsane fails on preview
scanner is no longer found by sane-find-scanner or scanimage without power down/up

After (1.0.24)
The same through xsane failing
sane-find-scanner finds the scanner
scanimage does not

After scanner power down/up, tried scanimage -T (probably should have done this before).
It says "scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument"
Anyone know what that means?